1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cutbacks coming at the Tampa Bay Times?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thesportsscribe, Sep 18, 2014.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Here's how I see that playing out ...

Scenario 1: The Times defaults on the loan and the Boston financiers go to court, force bankruptcy proceedings and the paper is auctioned off.

Scenario 2: Just before the Times defaults on the loan, it finds a partner investor, repays the debt, and its long legacy of family/independent ownership goes into history.

In both scenarios, I do not see the Times able to pay back its loansharks, er, financiers on its own through layoffs, furloughs, travel freezes, property sales, etc.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see how they can come up with that much money, but they'll probably find a way to avoid anything catastrophic.

3. reformedhack

Late word: There's no ambiguity about layoffs. Executives have told some employees tonight that there will be "significant" cuts coming to the copy desk.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Does letterman's sister still work at the times?

Maybe she could convince her brother to come to the rescue.

5. reformedhack

She does. Gretchen Letterman, a former features editor, works in the community development department and oversees a publication produced by local high school students.

(Or did, as of earlier this year.)

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's supposed to be scary. They want to scare people out of the building to reduce choices about layoffs.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Although it's not much, the paper in Murfreesboro is Gannett, and it's only 30 miles away. They probably share some preps and MTSU coverage. It's a help but not much.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was part of the massive preps staff a decade ago. We knew it was big at the time but now of course it just looks crazy. Though I'll never say it was too big -- we did a darned good job and if you were a reader, especially in the rural counties, you were incredibly well served. But the bureau closed in the northernmost county a year or two after I left, which as it turned out was the first brick out of the wall.

The Times' independence, so long an admirable strength, is what's going to sink them. No parent company to absorb the losses or do some ledger-shuffling to keep things afloat. When it's over it might really be over.

9. reformedhack

Dead-on accurate.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The Times's Ben Montgomery said on the twitterz machine this morning he was unaware of a staff meeting that had the publisher/editor type telling people it was time to bail.

Said it could have happened at a bureau but not at the main building.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't think they'd be telling him to bail anyway. And if he had to, it wouldn't take him long. Hell, anybody'd hire him.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That really is spot-on, sad as it is to say.

Draft saved Draft deleted