1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cops Gone Wild: Birmingham Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, May 20, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Three police beatings in one week? We haven't seen this since the LAPD's heyday.
    This one may be the worst, though. It makes the California cop's kick to the head look like a love tap.
    Car chase in Alabama ends when the car flips into a ditch, ejecting the driver out the side window. As he's laying face down in the ditch after this vicious wreck, possibly dead or seriously injured, the cops' first response isn't to check on the guy. It's to come in with nightsticks and fists flying to get their licks in. A half dozen cops, and every one of them gets a shot in.
    The FBI is investigating civil rights abuses and the five cops involved have been fired.
    Now, the guy in the car did run over a cop. No defense for that. He should be prosecuted for attempted murder. But what the cops did is just overreaction to the Nth degee.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/05/fbi_investigates_birmingham_po.html

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

And the continuing errors of a few paint the entire region's inhabitants as racist once again.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

According to the story the incident happened in January of 2008.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, the story added that some supervisors were being disciplined for covering it up.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just plain dumb. I get being pumped up, I get being pissed. What I don't get is losing your head in a situation like that. You save that kind of crap for the back of the station where there aren't cameras.
    My money says all five will have new gigs in police departments in Bama before football season.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

So your problem with their behavior is their timing?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Obviously it was deplorable and indefensible. But you have to wonder just how stupid these guys were in the first place. It's one thing if a guy is resisting, but beating on someone who is unconscious? I just expected their douchiness to be a little less obvious.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Oh, there's more than a few.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To me, the stupidity is these guys doing this while knowing their cars have video cameras. It's almost as if they want to get caught.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Inexcusable.

There is a big difference between the punt and this.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Usually it's not the crime, it's the cover up. But in this case it's both.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Birmingham's mayor agrees. From one of the other stories on the link:

Draft saved Draft deleted