1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More CNHI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beanpole, Dec 9, 2011.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When I worked in Valdosta, we couldn't start sports pages at the beginning of a shift. The newspaper had twice as many machines running Quark as they did licenses to do so. Also, they had just dismantled the universal desk that serviced a half-dozen papers in South Georgia because it "didn't work."

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

No reason, other than gut feeling, but I can't shake the feeling of one of the great movie titles (unfortunately, the flick wasn't even in the same ballpark in terms of quality):

Something wicked, this way comes...

(Crossing my fingers my instincts are incorrect.)

3. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I'm at a CNHI shop and heard CNHI is testing the waters at a few locations with metered paywalls (like the NYT). Can anyone confirm? Is this already a known thing and I'm just behind on the times?

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

We have been hearing rumors of this for months. Problem on our end would be terribly outdated technology.

5. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I think they need to overhaul the design/layout of the CNHI websites before going ahead with it. An upgrade to a block format from the list layout is long overdue.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Could not agree more! And this comes from a guy who has updated the sports portion of our website EVERY day for the past decade.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

Hearing through the grapevine that every paper was told, "do whatever you need to do to get your profit margin to 20 percent."

When was the last time anyone in this company had a raise? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

a friend of mine worked at a cnhi paper. said they cleared $11.5 million the first year he was there and $12 million the second year. because the $500,000 increase in a year wasn't enough for corporate, they started slashing hard core.

last i heard, circulation is down like 35 percent in the past five years and profits have plummeted. pretty sickening.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

TP, that really does suck. What a bunch of bull.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

2008 ... then furloughs started second quarter of 2009

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, I talked to a guy in Louisville (Gannett hub) about a job there and he told me they did the Gannett Carolina papers.

The equipment at the CNHI shop where I worked was horrible. Daily source of aggrevation... and I'm not one of these techno-geeks who pitches a fit if something isn't the latest state of the art stuff. But I really hate rebooting over and over when I'm on deadline.

Most of the people I worked with were good people and good journalists and we worked together pretty well. They would always help whenever I needed something and I would do likewise. The bosses? Different story.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

20 percent? What universe or generation are they living in?

Draft saved Draft deleted