1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More CNHI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beanpole, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Honestly, sounds like all the leverage you need to demand a raise.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Another rough night at the office. Would love to offer comment on the four-letter parent company mentioned here, but in the interest of my continued employment by said company, discretion is the better part of valor.

To quote Pops from "The Natural," "I shoulda been a farmer."

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering what had happened there. I interviewed for a job on their combined desk years ago...

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Desk is now in the process of re-combining. Everyone on the desk is being classified as a paginator so there's allegedly going to be no copy editing going on on the desk, all that handled by the day/night editors in house at the various papers.

So the folks who were on the combined desk when you would've interviewed who were then sent to a different office are now being pulled back.

5. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

Any CNHI folks have a payroll issue after a raise/promotion?

I recently was promoted and told before about the 8.3 percent furlough paycut required by all salaried employees. Problem is, said percentage wasn't factored into my first two checks in the new position. So I get paid yesterday and the amount is drastically less than the previous two, and enough of decrease where I'd have to think long and hard about taking the position in the first place.

Not sure if it was deliberate or simply a clerical error, but it makes you wonder who's driving the clown car for this horrible company.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

HD: As a salaried employee, we NEVER receive a full paycheck during our beloved EFF(YOU!)-day quarters (which are pretty much every quarter, I know). Not sure how it applies specifically to your situation, but that's how it is here.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I hope I'm reading this wrong. Do CNHI salaried employees just take an 8.3 percent weekly pay cut and have that be the "furlough" impact, while still working the same amount of time they would have without furloughs?

I hated furloughs when we had them at my old shop, but at least it was not having to work during that time I wasn't being paid. If you have to work the same amount of time for less money, they should have the balls to not call it a furlough and call it what it is - a pay cut.

It also could make one wonder about the legalities of making all the salaried workers take a straight pay cut, while making the hourly workers take unpaid time off.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Legally, is there a difference for tax or company purposes between "furlough" and "pay cut?"

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Probably not legally. From an employee's standpoint, there definitely is. Making less money for working less time vs. making less money for working the same time would seem to be a pretty big difference.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Burns,

My understanding from when I worked at a CNHI paper was salaried employees still must take the time away from the office. It is just that their pay reductions are calculated differently.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

The way it's supposed to be is this: 5 days off without pay, each quarter.

For us salaried employees, though, the reality is this -- when there is work to be done while others are on eff(you!) days, guess who it falls on? Yup, you guessed it, the salaried employees (trust me, I know this firsthand).

There is NO good thing about this, but at least the hourly folks are paid for any extra time they put in while the salaried people are on eff(you!) days.

Please know, that assumes said salaried employees are actually able to take the eff(you!) days and still put out a product. I know, it's simple to say, "if it doesn't get done, it's not your problem." The real "problem" is, though, many aren't willing to compromise the product they've poured their heart and soul into and end up just biting the bullet.

That results in not only a paycut, but MORE work.

As I mentioned previously, as Pops (Wilfred Brimley from "The Natural" fame) said, "I shoulda been a farmer."

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Every salaried employee at my shop takes 5 days off per quarter as long as the furlough program is going. There are no exceptions. That's the law and we're following it. I sincerely hope everyone else in the company nation wide is too.

The "pay cut" is just a math problem. Let's say for argument's sake you make 500 bucks a week. Over a quarter, that's 6,000 bucks. An hourly employee would simply get a check for 0 the week they don't work, whereas a salaried employee has the "reduction" spread over the entire quarter. Either way, at the end of 3 months, you've got $5500.

Draft saved Draft deleted