1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More CNHI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beanpole, Dec 9, 2011.

1. beanpole

beanpole Member

One of my Facebook friends announced today that CNHI is switching to design hubs, similar to Gannett. No idea where they'll be located or when the rollout will be.

Can't say I'm surprised.

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Why do I see an epic fail on the horizon coming from this?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've been expecting and predicting this for a while, but have yet to hear anything official here at CNHI in Podunk.

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Do they have the technology in place to pull this off?

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

They used to have a pagination Hub in the North of Boston group. This was when several of the publications fell under one publisher. 2-3 years ago they broke it up, gave each their own publisher and sent members of the design team to work full-time in house at various locations. The way it is now is unquestionably better than the way it was then. Not sure why they'd centralize again or how it might work in regions that aren't as close together as their North of Boston group. Haven't heard anything about this yet.

6. beanpole

beanpole Member

My friend works in Indiana, where chi has several small dailies surrounding Indy.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I could see it working in Oklahoma, where they have Norman, Stillwater, Muskogee, Duncan and several smaller papers. All they would have to do is shift a couple of bodies from a copy desk in one city to another and work out a schedule for the press and delivery. To me, that's the biggest hurdle. I typically do 9-10 pages per night on the desk and could probably do more, especially if some were duplicate pages for multiple papers. So that end isn't as big of a problem as the logistics of printing and delivery.

8. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Any word on furloughs for 1Q 2012. Seems awfully late (12/13) not to have heard anything yet. That worries me more than it gives me any comfort for the start of the new year.

9. Heard homies began gettin' those sheets.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Filled out my first quarter furlough sheet request days last week. So, unless we hear otherwise on Jan. 1, expect five days first quarter 2012.

11. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Is the Christmas Eve Fuck You happening again?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Why wait til Christmas Eve?

Draft saved Draft deleted