1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More CNHI layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SudburyPatch, Mar 1, 2011.

1. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

well, official word was just handed down. not only are second quarter furloughs coming, but we're going back to five days instead of four.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Of course, we have not been given The Word at our shop. *shrug*

3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Ours were announced today. Five furloughs for 2nd quarter. If my math is correct, that will be 40 unpaid days since April, 2009 (nine quarters)

4. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Basically we're getting laid off for one month every year and some of us aren't able to draw unemployment for our time lost. It's a sad situation, especially since our newsrooms and work situations are crumbling around us.

The consensus at our shop is the big shots in Birmingham don't care about the company's longevity, but are only concerned about the short-term bottom line, and they're running what profitable papers they have into the ground.

This has to be the worst company — in any profession — that I've ever worked for. I'm not alone in this mindset, which is why so many at my shop are already planning their escape.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My understanding is if you get furloughed, you can collect unemployment. Is this something that varies by state?

6. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Depends on how you get paid. Hourly employees can draw unemployment in our state. Salary employees can't since CNHI takes a percentage out of every check the entire quarter. It's basically like taking a cut in pay with a few extra days off.

7. GDrag

GDrag New Member

So is this legal? (praying someone says no, but I know the answer).

8. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

It shouldn't be legal, but sadly it is. Trust me. I've checked into it. But at least we went back to five furlough days. Yeah, that means less money for me, but at least the hourly employees can draw unemployment now if they choose to take all five furlough days in a row. They couldn't last quarter when it was only four.

Like I said in an earlier post: this company is fucked.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

"Like I said in an earlier post: this company is fucked."

As Coach Nickerson told Tom Cruise in "All the Right Moves:"

"No sir... (we) are!"

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Is this the same company being spoke of here?

www.cnhi.com
    About CNHI:
    CNHI values excellence, integrity, respect for employees and a customer focus in all of its operations.

11. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Funny ... in those photos on the home page ... the guy reading our paper got laid off two years ago!

12. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

It should say CNHI values Satan, pain, suffering, torment and misery to all it's underlings.

Draft saved Draft deleted