1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More CNHI layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SudburyPatch, Mar 1, 2011.

1. SudburyPatch

SudburyPatch Guest

Just saw a post from an old co-worker of mine that he was axed by The Eagle-Tribune ... by far the most talented journalist in that newsroom. Don't know how many in total were let go, but that newsroom has got to be a ghost town by now. In the past 2+ years, every quarter has seen either a furlough or a layoff.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Sud: You can't forget the required terminology for us CNHIers: We're not allowed to use the term "layoffs" -- we are required to term it "restructuring."

In all seriousness, though, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. All of us in this company are waiting for the next shoe to fall.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

CNHI has run those papers into the ground.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, CNHI (and Gannett) employees are living under the top shelf of Imelda Marcos' closet during an earthquake.

5. slotman1

slotman1 New Member

Word is the total is about 35 companywide, a half-dozen or more in the newsroom. Ghost town is an overstatement.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Is that 35 at Eagle-Tribune Publishing? Or the just E-T proper in North Andover?

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

37 positions at the Massachusetts CNHI properties. Which is the former E-T Publishing I guess or whatever the chain was known as when CNHI bought it. Not all f/t not all editorial. Don't know breakdowns.

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Thanks for the update, sir.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I still remember the conversation you and I had about the "restructuring" that was going on when I applied for your opening. Dumbest thing ever.

10. GDrag

GDrag New Member

Gloucester Daily Times dumped their night editor who had been there for over 30 years and let go of a photog OVER THE PHONE. Newburyport news got rid of two sports reporters, leaving only the sports editor.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Oh, noes! What are they going to do if you use "layoffs" instead of "restructuring?" Fire you?

Oh wait ...

12. slotman1

slotman1 New Member

And, piling insult on injury, publisher says don't bet against second-quarter furloughs on top of the layoffs, though no official word on that yet from the overlords of Alabama.

Draft saved Draft deleted