1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More CNHI furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SouthernStyle, Nov 12, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

The fact that such increases are resulting in management decisions to force furloughs to make up for THEIR cut of the higher insurance premiums is yet another reason that upper management, publishers and other high level executives responsible for this failed leadership and profit margin to resign immediately.

The hypocrisy of this paradigm is sickening.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Extremely well put.

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Seriously. If front line people performed like these people, would they still have jobs? Especially with hard-working ones were let go in your cuts?

4. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Both times I've been furloughed only the newsroom people -- editors, reporters and photographers -- were furloughed. Not the higher-ups and not the advertising people. But the paper wasn't struggling financially because of poor reporting or poor photography so why were we the ones getting screwed? It was struggling financially because the higher-ups didn't know what the hell they were doing and the ad department couldn't sell an ad to save their life. Funny how these things work. I guess the newsroom people were just the lowly peasants.

I know advertising rakes in considerable more money than subscriptions, but I've always thought about it this way in terms of value:

For one week, publish the paper with all ads and no articles. See how many you sell.

The next week, run it with all articles and no ads. Again, see how many you sell.

Now who do you think is more important?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Same as now: The ones who aren't easily replaced.

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Here's the problem with walking out:

If a newsroom did that, they could all be fired and easily replaced, potentially with hungrier and more talented employees.

Way too many writers and editors. Not enough positions.

Also, the number of chains doing furloughs has gone down, so I don't know if I buy the CNHI publisher's acceptance of this.

Draft saved Draft deleted