1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More CNHI furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SouthernStyle, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

We got word today.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

We got the word today, too

3. Our publisher said during our meeting "This can't surprise you" and "You all know how this works."
    I know we do and no it doesn't surprise me, but my fear is that we are becoming acclimated to this. With each furlough and each day longer into the pay freeze, we lose a little bit more of the desire to let the company know this wrong. Now, every time a corporate bean counter wants to squeeze a penny out of a couch cushion somewhere, they are going to look to lowly editorial employees, who have already shown they can still put out a paper with reduced staff sizes and reduced paychecks.
    And really, a word of advice to anyone that must make one of these announcements in the future -- the it's-tough-all-over and we're-not-the-only-ones-hurting old saws do little to comfort us.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Still nothing at my shop.

5. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

They told everybody at my place Monday and said we'll qualify for unemployment this time around. I'm guessing we would have before, too, just nobody looked into it.

6. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

YES. A word to anyone who is furloughed -- you ARE eligible for unemployment. I was furloughed twice and received benefits both times because it is esentially like they are laying you off for a week (or however long your furlough is). Even if the furlough days are spread out and not taken all at once, you are still eligible.

So to anyone who is furloughed, definitely look into it because you will receive money for those days you didn't work. In my case, I was getting about 80% of my daily paycheck.

7. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

With all the pay freezes and furloughs and crap going on at practically every paper, has anyone heard of any newsrooms going on strike or just plain walking out? If everyone in the newsroom walked out at the same time with no warning, there would be many consecutive days that the paper would not be put out. The paper would then lose even more money from lost advertising and pissed off customers so in the end, it may not help the employees at all.

But has this happened yet?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Supposedly, the advertising department at the Westchester Journal News walked out this summer when Gannett announced that every employee would have to reapply for their jobs.

9. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I am by no means an expert on this, but I believe this varies by state. In Minnesota, for instance, I believe you have to be off for two consecutive weeks before you are eligible for unemployment benefits. So if you take one day here and one day there, you won't be eligible under this furlough system. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand it.

All I know is this latest news will mean 15 unpaid days in a single calendar year, which by my math means nearly a six percent pay cut for the year.

Also, we got the official furlough news the day they announced health care premiums were going up eight percent with annual deductibles and out-of-pocket max both increasing as well. What a great day for morale!

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

True, it may be a state-by-state scenario. Definitely worth looking into though.

What was BS about when I was furloughed was that the newspaper didn't tell us we were eligible for benefits (and don't tell me they didn't know; they most certainly did) so most of us just assumed we weren't eligible or didn't even think about it in the first place. Luckily, one guy took the steps to find out and informed everyone.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

I'm attempting to resist the temptation to type the corporate memo that was sent to all CNHI papers about this, which was then topped with a lede graph to fit each paper.

However, with the pay freezes, the deductible being raised from $500 to $750 and the cost of basic insurance being increased, my resistance is quickly waning.

12. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

I know two newsroom employees turned their notices in the day after this was announced at one CNHI shop. A few employees in other departments also quit. To my surprise, they plan to replace these employees ASAP.

Draft saved Draft deleted