1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More CNHI furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SouthernStyle, Nov 12, 2009.

1. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

News just came out. CNHI will have 40-hour furloughs in the first quarter and it sounds like another round is coming in the second quarter. Why would anyone in their right mind stay at a CNHI shop, much less take a job with this sinking ship?

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

=(

But what other ship would you jump to? Not a lot of stable aircraft carrier type vessel's out there, if you know what I mean

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Steal a plane while you still can and hope it has enough gas.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

So much for that wage freeze going away like they've been spewing around here for six months.

5. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

That sucks. Makes me even less excited to spend my weekend slaving away at playoff games when I should be slaving away on the want ads.

Last I heard, everything was getting better in Birmingham. At least my 'Friday' is ruined before it even really started. Dammit I need to find a new job.

I hope to God this doesn't happen again. It's bad enough on me being a single guy with just college loans, rent and other random bills. I don't even want to imagine what it's like on a young couple with kids.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Another pitchfork in the ass.

Greedy bastards.

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

This sucks. The 10 days this year really caught up to our family budget by the end of September. Just when you think one day here, one day there won't be so bad, suddenly we were scraping.

8. What's the source of this? I haven't heard anything, not that I would be on the memo list, but still, there hasn't been any carping on here about impending layoffs.
    But this would fit the MO and time frame for the corporate folks. The previous furlough announcements came with about 1 1/2 months left in the quarter.
    In a related matter, our benefits enrollment sheets came out and we had an eight percent contribution increase and all of our deductibles went up again.
    In the five years I have been with CNHI, my benefits contribution has increased almost 30 percent.

9. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

A reliable source from Birmingham. A few friends of mine at different CNHI shops were informed Thursday afternoon.

Losing 80 hours of pay definitely sucks, especially for those with families. It's not like CNHI pay was great to begin with, but it gets really shitty when they start cutting and slashing via furlough. But what else would you expect from a company that is nothing more than 401K for Alabama state employees? These buffoons don't care about their employees or the product they produce. Those greedy bastards in B'ham are raking the $$$$ while most of their employees are eligible for food stamps.

10. Funny you should mention 401K. The company has surreptitiously managed to stop the employer contribution to the 401K plan.
    I hope none of you had any plans of retiring someday.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I haven't heard a thing either.

12. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

No doubt...same thing here. At first, I thought we could manage okay with a few cutbacks, but a bill stacks up here, a hospital visit there and it's easy to miss the income that should be there. Of course, it didn't help when my wife's job cut hours at the same time and even more drastically. Ughhh...tough times, here's wishing everyone the best in pulling through :)

Draft saved Draft deleted