1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More "Christian" Idiocy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

MM: Yep . . . do NOT mean there should be no limits . . . quite right. The limits typically lay in established
    standards of taste.

And zillions of people find organized religion a great guide and comfort. Good for them.

But, bottom-lining it . . . in terms of dealing/coping with the world at large . . . if
    you're not skilled in getting around the secular world without picking up a lot of scars
    quickly . . . and you reside in the US . . . lotsa luck.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Fair enough. Most people suffer the slings and arrows gracefully. Others take the first perceived slight and use it as proof that they're "being persecuted in His name" because the Bible said it would happen to Christians -- never mind that they've been a bunch of insensitive asswipes who bring it on themselves. I wouldn't categorize them as the majority or even a reasonably-sized minority, but they make life hard for the rest of us.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

See . . . this kind of thing CAN be discussed reasonably. Been a pleasure.

Trolls . . . take note!

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

So when I get to hell I get to have sex with Julie Warner?
    No wonder I've been in such a hurry to get there.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If that's what's waiting for me when I get there, I can't wait, either.

6. Just FYI, I have been, and always will be, opposed to the kind of speech codes to which you refer. Comes from that same part of my brain that is ambivalently opposed to "hate crimes" legislation. The problem is that a college enforcing speech codes is a private matter -- hello, drug-testing thread! -- and too many of the examples like the one we're discussing arrange to put the power of the local government behind them

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nope, but you will have to drop trou and pee in the woods for all eternity

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not to threadjack, but since we're journalists, can we at least uphold AP style and not capitalize Him? I'm a Christian, though not a churchgoer, but this has always annoyed me. If God is the only one we're worshipping, do we really think he's so vain that he demands we capitalize his name?

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Thanks. Just wanted to hear you say it.
    I stand corrected on your batting average on free speech. The official scorer went back and awarded you a hit on colleges trying to punish someone for calling someone a feminazi.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

There was a story in the LA Times about some right-wing group offering $100 for people to provide reports about left-wing professors at UCLA.

If I was a professor, what I would do would be to make an arrangement with a student, say something left-wing, get the money, and then order pizza with the money.

In addition to speech codes running against American tradition of free speech, they are counter productive and unless somebody is threatened, there is no call for them. My guess would be that banning books by school boards is more common than where colleges ban free speech, although it is probably worse when it happens in college because that is where you are supposed to make inquiries. The best way to deal with falsehoods and unsubstantiated bias is with truth and better supported ideas.

School boards need to consider whether things are age apporpriate, but any student in the junior year of high school should be able to read anything. Indeed, the toughest thing may be to get high school students to read anything.

11. As long as Horowitz's idiot website also leaves the college alone because some professor said something icky about the president, you've got a deal.

12. Frylock

Frylock Member

The thing I think most on this board don't appreciate is you would be surpriised at how many Christians would look at these people as the ignorant jackasses they are.
    I mean, they'd have to ban the Bible as well.
    Christians are not supposed to be of the world. But that doesn't mean not to be in the world. Reading curse words or "sinful" subject matter is not a bad thing and certainly not worthy of banning books.
    If we limited our reading, TV, movies, etc. to G-rated stuff, or stopped altogether, we wouldn't learn a whole lot. And we'd probably wind us as ignorant jackasses who want to ban Fahrenheit 451.

Draft saved Draft deleted