1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More "Christian" Idiocy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 5, 2006.

1. http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=4625303

On the other hand, "Alton Verm" does sound like a guy who'd work with Hank Hill at the propane company.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Irony, thy name is Ray Bradbury.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Idiocy like a fox! Pops probably pulled that excuse out of his back pocket when his lazy daughter informed him that the book report was due and she hadn't cracked the book yet.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It is ironic in the truest sense that a fictional book on book banning is now the target of a request to remove it from school curriculum.

THANKS FOR BEATING IT OVER OUR HEADS, WE NEVER WOULD HAVE GOTTEN IT OTHERWISE. Plus, wouldn't the truest sense of irony be if a copy of the book spontaneously combusted and burned down the Verm household?

As for whether this qualifies as "idiocy", I dunno. If you believe the Bible is the written word of God Himself, you can understand why the girl and her dad would be upset about it. Making a big stink about it is less understandable, though if you're worried about offense to God, at least you'd understand WHY they'd want to fight (and yes, this goes for other religions; it just happens that this story involves Christianity).

talking about our firemen

Hey, at least they can say they know people who became characters in a well-known book.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Folks, I covered Caney Creek High for a few years and my niece went there. When you hear the term East County (as with East Texas), we're not exactly talking enlightenment here. We're talking Deliverance. Almost.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK, Meat.

You believe that taking the name of the Lord in vain is against one of the 10 Commandments. It's against God's law and you won't do it.

So is murder. So if a book involved a killing, you wouldn't want that to be read? Or one that includes coveting or stealing should be banned too? What's the difference?

Where do you take it? Where do you stop?

7. Ok, the first person that accuses me of liberal elitism blah-blah-blah will be asked to take his complaint to the Navy.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm not taking or stopping anything. Notice I never said "yes they're right to do this" or "America's school systems are indoctrination centers for godlessness and debauchery" (I've known people who feel this way, and I shy away from them). I'm just pointing out that it's possible to feel that way without them necessarily engaging in "idiocy."

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am just pointing out that certain Christians have flashpoints that seems to trigger these reactions. Why do a certain sins seems to engage them more than others.

When I see the Christian right start a national campaign to promote humility and ward off greed and covetousness, I will be impressed.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Testify!

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

God will have a special place for all those political whores boodling in the name of Our Father.

It will in no manner resemble Lake Tahoe.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Reno, perhaps.

Draft saved Draft deleted