1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Chicago gun violence .... this time, it's a CEO

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Executive who was demoted during a downsizing shoots CEO, who is in critical condition, then shoots and kills himself. According to the story, they were also friends.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-police-responding-to-shooting-in-loop-20140731,0,3931884.story

The story is also on other websites, such as USA Today, ABC, CBS and NBC news.

So why is the MEDIA! giving this such major coverage, while the poor inner-city kids get just a few grafs on the inside?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's like three blocks from me. Had no idea.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Guy couldn't hit dick. :eek:

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I took one journalism class. The only thing I remember is the professor harping on the first three letters of the word news.

The takeaway was, if it's not new, it's not news.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Interesting that I saw this on my local news in the Southeast and thought the same thing. YF might have a point in this case. But I guess the difference is that everyone in that office building could have been in danger. Though that's also the case if there is a shootout on a public street.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sounds like gang violence to me. Nothing to see here.

7. Baron Scicluna

[​IMG]

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Thank goodness that god-fearing American was able to catch his CEO off guard and exercise his constitutional right to defend himself.

9. YankeeFan

They respond to all shootings the same way, right?

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is it fair to assume Baron Scicluna has Google alerts set up for CEO shootings?

11. YankeeFan

Baron must have been awfully disappointed to learn it was the number two guy in the company who pulled the trigger, and not some downtrodden worker bee.

12. Baron Scicluna

I'll admit, I was a bit. Mostly, though, it was the fact that it happened in Chicago, where so many shootings occur, and how the MEDIA! was covering it.

Draft saved Draft deleted