1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More change at Philly Inquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Zeemer, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Nice.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Congrats on the move. What will you be doing at MLB.com?

3. Jim Jenks

Jim Jenks Member

VP/Executive Producer. Focusing on broadband initiatives.

4. digger

digger New Member

I worked for John at Asbury. I'll be the first to admit that everything wasn't great when he was there, but I'm not sure how much was his fault. And there was plenty that was good, especially compared to after he left.

The only thing I would say was for sure a negative was he brought in some questionable people. Maybe he wasn't great at making hires, maybe some or all were forced on him. Edit - (And some of the people who came in while he was in charge were great - I don't want it to look like he only brought in bad people). End edit.

But he was a good guy, he wasn't a jerk (at least to me, others might disagree, including some people I know/like), and if you had something you were really passionate about, he'd let you run with it.

It wasn't a bad place to work when he was in charge.

5. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

Congrats, Jim.

Are you taking Stephen A. with you?

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i went to college with john quinn. he was my first sports ed at the college paper. was a great guy then. a terrific athlete, too. was a star on the club football team and could dunk on his awesome intramural basketball team, even though he's just a 6-foot-tall white dude.

anyway, that's why i was curious. he also worked at newsday before asbury.

7. Zeemer

Zeemer Member

I don't think Quinn can dunk anymore.
    He is still a hell of a good guy, though.

8. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Do you personnel mavens think Quinn will move up?

9. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

I'll attest to the fact that Quinn is a good guy.

10. It is my understanding that Quinn was considered for the opening that went to Jenks, but that's second-hand information.

I'm wondering if Jere Longman is still interested in this job (and, no, I'm not Jere). I think he'd be terrific -- he'd take the section in a completely different direction. It's a shell of what it used to be, but some very talented people work there.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Does Jere have editing experience? I only know of his writing work at NYT.

12. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

You mean there are papers out there with enough staff that ASEs AREN'T typing in agate on Saturday nights?

Draft saved Draft deleted