1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More casualties

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jakewriter82, Oct 25, 2007.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Now, I know the journalism biz is going through a rough period right now, but this is pathetic.

I've been at my current shop for 4 months now, and since I've started here, there's been 7 people who have been let go. We have no photo editor, no managing editor, no cops & Courts beat reporter, and our local columnist has just been let go for whatever reason a day ago. The newsroom is shrinking at a rapid pace, to the point where it's almost empty.
    It's getting to the point where 90 percent of our copy has become supplied by the wire.
    Why does this have to happen?
    I'm really feeling like my chance of advancing into a better job in the business is in jeopardy because by the time I get to the point in my career where I have gained valuable experience, I'll be forced out because I'll be too expensive.
    I just read the Spokesman Review is cutting a good portion of their newsroom today, and so many more have as well. Is there anywhere this isn't happening?

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

My working theory now is that pretty soon a lot of papers that are looking to hack even deeper into the bone will start using wire stories and photos for everything they can. Which could mean everything that isn't local news and local sports below college level.

The way the management thinking goes today, it's just the logical progression.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

See, here's what I don't get from this whole line of thinking. The wire services are basically a consortium, right? Paper A sends stories, Paper B sends stories, Paper C sends stories, then the wire guys pick through them and send out the good ones. Occasionally, the AP or other wire bureau does their own stuff, but that's a few stories a week.
    So, at some point, if every paper hacks at its editorial staff, will we get to the point where there literally is no more news? The AP guys can't be everywhere at once. They're not coming into Podunk to cover a city board meeting, or a high school basketball game. So is it going to take a day where there's three state-level wire stories and 10 or 12 pages to fill for papers to get the message?

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You're right, except for every game that's played.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Indeed, the AP writers I know are among the busiest writers I know.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Not entirely accurate. The AP doesn't have the full-time army needed, so they job a huge chunk of their game coverage to stringers. AP writers are busy, but that's because of writing for AMs, PMs and the different news cycles.
    In terms of state and regional news reports. Much of what the AP does is take members' stories and send them on with the AP bug. Same goes for photos — some freelance, some members, some staff.
    If papers cut and don't send things in. Then the AP report will be smaller.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I agree. But, that wasn't the point I was retorting.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

A what? I'm at my third daily, and I've never worked a photo editor.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just our AP down here. I know our bureau is smaller than ones in, say, Atlanta, Dallas or New York, but still. They'll do their share of stuff during football season, but come basketball season most of what we get are gamers. And during college baseball season, which is big here, we hardly even get that. Just the stuff the SIDs write and put up on their web sites, with an AP bug on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted