1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Bruce US tour dates

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Jul 14, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Speaking of The Boss, wife no. 1 seems to have gone off the grid and retired after leaving the show "Sisters."

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

She supposedly got an 8-figure settlement in the divorce; why work?

If Google image search is any indication, she's also joined the Dubious Plastic Surgery Alumni Association.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

From Bruce's eulogy for Clarence:
    "Clarence doesn't leave the E Street Band when he dies. He leaves when we die."

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's definitely still viable.
    There are a number of different ways he can go with it.
    Last month, at a private benefit show he played in the Stone Pony backed by a band of NJ locals he's played with before and a few E Streeters including Max Weinberg, they did a full-band "10th Ave. Freeze Out" and
    Weinberg spoke to radio host Tom Cunningham the following morning, calling that particular performance "quite emotional": "The third verse, where Bruce sings 'the change was made uptown and the Big Man joined the band,' we stopped and the whole audience [sang the sax break]. It was chilling. I actually got chills when that happened."

Bruce could also revert to the December 1975 solo piano version of the song which is simply stunning....

5. lono

lono Active Member

We were at that show. Never forget it.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Here's the thing, you can only spend so much time on the Big Man without mentioning Danny (another original member). Yes, the Big Man was the face of the band and his death was more recent, but you can't leave Danny unmentioned. I worry that it is going to turn into a tribute show.

I think that Bruce should release a statement/video before the tour that they are going to honor the two lost Blood Brothers by putting on the best show that they can. Then, every now and then, Roy can strap on the acordian and play Sandy, Bruce can do the solo 10th Ave (I can really see that being the end of every main set like Into the Fire had been) or maybe even Clarence's son can do the Jungleland solo spot.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

To me Bruce is the only indispensable member of the E Street Band. If Nils Lofgren could step in for Steve way back when, Max's son could take his spot on occasion and Danny could be replaced by Charles Giordano then they can find a way to replace Clarence, either by including an expanded horn section or having his son step in.

To these ears, Clarence's sax wasn't as prominent on Bruce's post-River albums than it had been earlier.

8. Webster

It's never about the albums, it's about the shows. And Clarence was the band -- not musically (Roy is by far the most important in that regard), but spirtitually.

David Remnick put it best in his obit for Clarence -- "Springsteen is a rock ā€˜nā€™ roll romantic, and a large part of his romanticism stems from his notion of what a band means. No one, save Springsteen himself, meant more to the E Street Band than Clarence Clemons."

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Amazing. Wow. Thanks.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that's Clarence on the background vocals, right?

10. Webster

As far as piano versions, I'd go with this one.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I was going to start a new thread when the announcement came the other day but so many good memories on this thread, including that last show in Buffalo. Lono, I can't believe you all were at the Detroit show. Unreal we didn't meet up somehow. I think Bruce will hire Ed Manion or someone else to play the sax and it won't be the same but Charlie wasn't Danny either. It'll still be 99% better than any other show you could see.

Draft saved Draft deleted