1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More bad news for Greg Oden

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 20, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Shit, I saw it months ago. It's impressive, but not impressive enough to cancel his face and the fact he went to Ohio State.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

That's right.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Averaging 10 points during perhaps the highest-scoring era in NBA history stretches the definition of solid.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think what people forget about him is that Bowie was ahead of his time with his maneuverability as a 7-1 guy. Before he proved to have the legs of a 2-year-old colt, he played a forward's type of game.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To me a bust is someone like Lancaster Gordon who washes out in four years or someone like Chris Washburn, who got ruined by drugs.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Word.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suppose it all depends on your definition of a bust.

Sam Bowie was drafted ahead of a few hall of fame-level players. If you go to basketballreference.com, the player most similar to Sam Bowie is Chris Kaman.

I will say this -- Portland's decision to draft Bowie 2nd overall was disastrously stupid, despite all the revisionist history suggesting it made sense at the time. Michael Jordan was available, guys who worked out with and scouted Jordan for the Blazers begged them to draft him, and they went with the guy who missed two full seasons of college ball with injuries.

The Oden situation was just terrible luck for the Blazers. It was a defensible pick. The Bowie pick was indefensible.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To be fair to Portland though, they did use their No. 1 pick on a shooting guard the year before to take Clyde Drexler. And Jim Paxson was coming off two seasons where he was averaging 21 points a game. Plus, they were envisioning having a twin towers with Bowie and Mychal Thompson.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Clyde Drexler started three games and averaged eight points as a rookie, and the Blazers didn't even have him projected as a starter the following year (he started a little more than half the games). He was the 14th pick of the '83 draft. He was not some can't-miss kid they were planning their entire future around.

Bowie had major leg injuries in college, which is the biggest red flag possible regarding a big man.

It's hilarious that 30 years later, large chunks of the fan base just can't come to grips.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As Bob Knight famously said when Portland's GM said we can't draft Jordan, we need a center...

"Play Jordan at center."

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this one. A bust is someone is awful as a player, not someone who was robbed of a career because of injuries.

Draft saved Draft deleted