1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Authors Turning to Self-Publishing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by swenk, Jan 28, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I used to work for Harper Collins Canada and the President used to always say that publishing is like baseball. If you're batting .300, you're doing pretty damn good.

Short war story: a number of years ago I was talking to the head of Vancouver based Raincoast books. We were old friends from our book sales rep days and he was running through his list for the following year or so. Said he had just paid $5,000.00 for the Canadian rights for a British fantasy novel that was aimed at kids but it was too long for a children's book . Anyway, he said he read part of the ms and thought it would do OK.

Harry Potter.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Log off SportsJournalists.com and you'll be amazed at how much time you have.

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

One rule of thumb when writing, especially a book---don't have the TV on at the same time, even as background noise late at night.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

thanks to swenk, Waylon and all who have been making suggestions on our desire to get back into the "mood" or "groove"--whatever you might want to call it--to write this book that could fit in our local area/region...yes, the full-time sports editor job we have just absolutely saps our time and seemingly energy. I know i can do it and i am really having a tough time willing myself to do it, amidst a myriad of responsibilities and other duties i have..heck, i know i can do the writing because i usually average turning out eight-to-10 stories a week of 900-1,300 words in length and more on other occasions.
    again, some of this goes back to what Waylon was mentioning about the times meshing between the author and the people he needs to contact/interview, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted