1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Authors Turning to Self-Publishing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by swenk, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

clutch, ex, thanks for sharing. Didn't realize Amazon gouged so much.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Is this Amazon 55% "commission" being mentioned in here in addition to the 50% or so discount they (and almost every book retailer out there) take when buying books from your publisher or distributor?

For example, a hardcover that retails for $25 is "sold" (actually, it's a consignment because unsold books are returned for full credit) for 50-55% off to most retailers, meaning they are paying $12-$12.50 for that book. Whatever amount they then sell it for above that $12-12.50 is certainly theirs to keep.

In this instance, what you the author make off that is your cut of the $12.50 or so that went to the publisher. If it's a self-published book, you keep the entire amount minus whatever you paid for shipping. But if it's a publisher that gets that $12.50, they pay you your royalty for that book, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $2.

3. swenk

swenk Member

All I know is, a lot of people must read this board and/or the NY Times, because I got a whole lot of calls yesterday from clients asking if they should look into self-publishing.

A year ago, I would have said no way: you won't get into the bookstores, you won't get any exposure, you'll have a garage full of books, and all those friends and relatives who said they'd buy a book will never quite get around to it.

And I still feel that way, generally, because it's a massive commitment of your time and resources, and it's not as easy and lucrative as it may sound (although Clutch is a great example of making it work).

But there are certain books that can really work this way. For example:
    --The big local sports or news story that won't interest a publisher, but means a lot to a specific targeted audience in the region;
    --You want to use a book to support your other business efforts, ie, sell or give away at speaking appearances, lectures, sell on your blog/website;
    --You just can't find a publisher and you're not willing to take no for an answer.

I think we're past the days of "oh, vanity publishing, puh-lease." Technology has made it possible for some authors to shrug off traditional publishing myths ("you'll get no promotion!" like you were getting any anyway). And while I still wouldn't recommend if for everyone, I do think if you're a great self-promoter and a tireless advocate for your book, it's a viable option for certain projects.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Also...another reason I keep doing it.

"Good things" tend to happen to me after I put these books out.

My first novel came out when I was 29. Nationally published. Book tour, great radio shots at large stations (in-studio), tons of attention. Didn't sell very well -- hey, it's a sports novel! :)

BUT...

A few months later, my station folded and, within days, I landed a news job (at a much higher rate) in a neighboring city. The fact that I was a 'published author' helped me land the job because it 'supplemented the resume'. The manager couldn't get over that fact and it helped me beat out 100+ others for the job.

Months after the second one came out, I landed an even better job in a larger city where I had sold plenty of books. Those two things aren't related but I can't deny they didn't happened close together. :)

Good things happen when I'm productive so I'll keep pounding away on it.

5. micke77

micke77 Member

Swenk...i've got several ideas for books that I believe would go well in our region and local area, but--surprise, surprise--i work fulltime as a sports editor and, well, the "time" to do a book just never seems to get there. i know, that's been said often.
    but could i pitch this book to our publisher and have the newspaper help out in some way for promoting (ads, etc.) and maybe even pick up some of the tab? i know with this economy and all right now would be a hard sell, but is that something you believe would be good to do down the line?
    would even a book of columns that i've done for years on end and of local interest be a possibility? but again, at our local or regional level and have it in local bookstores?
    any suggestions welcomed.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I appreciate a perspective rooted in reality. It wasn't that long ago that someone was claiming six-figure advances for first-time authors were possible -- even likely -- for those with good negotiating skills.

7. swenk

swenk Member

Maybe Clutch has a different experience, but I don't know a single traditional publisher who will pay for printing and marketing but not pay an advance. It might be a lousy advance, but if it's worth a space on the list, they'll pay some kind of advance.

I would also caution against sweeping generalizations about advances and opportunities. Is it a great time to be selling a book? Not the best. But if you have a timely topic, an identifiable and defined audience, and good access to promotional and publicity opportunities, you have a pretty good chance. New book deals being made every day.

At least if you're writing non-fiction. Fiction? Good luck. :-\

8. McFarland. Probably some university presses, too.

9. clutchcargo

Reason publishers insist on signing some writers for zero advance is their rationale that by printing, say, 10,000 of your books in hardcover, they are already committing to $15,000 printing and probably half as much more in shipping from printer and then to buyers and marketing/sales costs. So they're already tapped out about $25,000 knowing they won't see the first dime from sales until bare minimum 90-120 days after puiblication. Buyers/retailers/chains are nickel and diming publishers more and more----costs that used to be borne by buyers are now being shoved back onto publishers, with buyers' attitude of "take it or leave it." This is not theory---it's the literal truth, and I can name you one sports publisher in SE USA who has folded up shop in the last 30 days for this very reason.

10. clutchcargo

One more thing for tonight---someone mentioned earlier about itching to write a book but having a fulltime sports gig and perhaps not being able to.

I can empathize with that, but I encourage you to go for it and to make it happen. Carve out 15-20 hours a week you can work at it, either before noon each day if you work late shift, or between 9 a.m. and midnight if you have to be at work by 8 or 9 a.m.

You can do it. But get your 6-8 hours of sleep and also do some work on weekends. Do a little bit each day tracking down folks to interview over the phone or via email Q&A as much as you can. Go for it!!! Chase that dream. Plan your time. Be enthusiastic about what you are doing. Work through those tough times and take advanteg of those nights and weekends where you get energetic for 3-4 hours and make it happen.

Believe in yourself, and still find time for those you love as best you can. Tell them what you are doing and give them part ownership in what you are doing. Keep polishing. Forge ahead. get it done. Then go and get it published, however.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Well said on the last post. You have to stay committed. When I'm in a groove, I tend to write 1,500-2,000 words a day. Do that and 120,000 words happens fairly quickly.

12. Depending on what kind of book you're writing, it is almost impossible to do it adequately when you have a full-time gig to tend to, especially if you have a deadline or if you have to get ahold of a lot of people. I was able to pull it off once, but it was a research-heavy book with very, very few interviews. So I wasn't dependent on other people's schedules.

The problem is that often people are working during the day when you're probably home. And they're home at night and a little more available when you're at the job. Also, no matter what time of day, it's not easy to get people to call you back for a book project. It's just not a priority for people, particularly if you're trying to piece together an event or era that happened long ago.

And even when you get people, trying to extract unique, useable information from each person isn't easy, either. You'll start hearing the same stories over and over again if you don't learn how to steer these conversations. If you're trying to track down famous people, you will be turned down sometimes for no rhyme or reason.

I read that Michael Rosenberg interviewed 200 people for his Ohio State/Michigan book and used about 50 books as sources as well as a slew of newspapers, magazines and other library research.

That's the kind of commitment it takes, and it's not easy. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that a book isn't something that you can easily just kind of crank out in your spare time. Not saying it can't be done or trying to discourage anybody. I'm just saying I hope you know what you're getting into. Just preparing a proposal can be a monster project, and that's with no guarantee that anybody is going to take you on. If you're self-publishing, you might have difficulty getting some interviewees to take you seriously - first question I often get: "Who's publishing it?"

Draft saved Draft deleted