1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More antics at the AJC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullrog, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Word today that the business section will go inside the A section starting relatively soon.
    Also, more cuts are coming mainly from part-timers. Part-timers had their hours cut from 25 to 20 last week and are looking at a further reduction in the next few weeks. The elimination of those jobs could happen within the next two months.
    On the sports side, the three agate clerks are on the chopping block. That would leave the staff of three daily sports copy editors even more swamped and over-worked.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

And the nosedive of a once-great section continues...

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They can't keep doing it with mirrors... cutting all the agate clerks is nonsense..

4. eyecu

eyecu Member

Wait, so three copy editors? Does that include designers?

5. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Got a couple of very good friends who do the P/T gigs for the AJC. I got an opening, but I couldn't afford them. If I could ...

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Please, somebody elaborate on this. The AJC has 3 copy editors in sports? That is not possible.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Newspapers need to realize that cutting your paper to nothing is only driving people further away. The Kate Moss thing isn't working. I happen to think anything less than a 24 page daily paper is barely worth the time or money to put out or read, let alone advertise in, and prompting further audience erosion. Cut the ad rates, maybe get more ads in the paper or just add news hole.
    When you have a paper that tight, and stories that short, do advertisers have much of a chance to get a reader to glance at their ads?

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Online only. It's a coming.
    This is another paper that should just speed the process. Cutting agate clerks? My god.

9. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I could believe that on a slow night there are three copy editors each shift, and a couple of designers and a copy chief. And hopefully a night editor. Gotta be six or seven people working each night at minimum. Right?

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Being a 24 hour news machine has its price.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The irony is, I remember being told years and years ago by serious people working there that even when the AJC had a huge sports staff, the night operation was shockingly thin.

But this is getting ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted