1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More antics at MG

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsGuyBCK, Mar 11, 2009.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Yep, I was there from mid-1988 to early 1993 ... the two busiest times at the paper were during football season and race weeks at then-Charlotte Motor Speedway ...

2. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

From Media General:

Beginning March 29, the Reidsville Review and the Eden Daily News will launch new, all local formats. The two newspapers, both located in North Carolina, will be published on Wednesday and Sundays and will focus on expanded coverage of local news, sports and community calendars. Breaking news coverage will continue to be provided on GoDanRiver.com, the newspapers’ Web site.
    The newspapers had previously been five-day-per-week papers.

"New, all local formats" is code for dropping publication from five to two days a week and losing the AP wire.

3. SportsGuyBCK

So the other shoe drops ... wonder how much longer it will be before Morganton and Marion both go to 2- or 3-day formats ...

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Marion is a daily? I didn't know that. Morganton might as well go 2/3-day or even as a supplement in the Hickory Daily Record, which is still readily available in Burke County.

5. Keystone

Keystone Member

My wife worked at Reidsville many moons ago, and really hated it there. Made some good friends though. From what I've heard the SE she hired is still there.

6. SportsGuyBCK

If they're going to cut the I-T to 3-days, then Hickory and Statesville may be on the way there as well ... they've both had significant circulation losses (Statesville is down 1,000-plus from when I was there back in 2005; can't get any accurate info on Hickory, as they have not filed a report with ABC, but I've heard they're down more than 1,000 as well) just like Concord, which I was told is down to just under 17,000 ...

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

To go from seven days to three is nuts. You think their circulation has dropped? Just watch it drop off a cliff now.

8. SportsGuyBCK

I agree wholeheartedly ... a lot of the comments on the story that appeared on the I-T's Web were asking if subscribers were going to get refunds, and that a few may wind up switching to the Salisbury Post (which one person said seemed to have more news about Cabarrus County than the I-T did) ...

I have a friend at the I-T, and he says that the rank and file workers there don't know how this transition will play out (but he thinks that it will entail cutting AP) or that if the higher-ups even have a plan (and knowing the publishers and editors that MG has run through that place the past few years, probably don't) ...

Draft saved Draft deleted