1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More antics at MG

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsGuyBCK, Mar 11, 2009.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Just got this from a friend ... the Concord paper was one of the first stops of my career ... sad to see what incompetent management has done to it ...

Independent-Tribune delivering news of frequency reduction
    March 11 - Kannapolis: The Independent-Tribune, based in Kannapolis, will go from daily publication to three-times a week in mid-April. The Independent and The Tribune were merged under the leadership of former publisher John Kennedy, who combined the newspapers in Kannapolis and Concord. A tireless promoter of the newspaper and a respected business leader, Kennedy retired in 2002. Since then, the publication has weathered difficult times, including a determined incursion by the Charlotte Observer, which established a large newsroom and sales office in Concord. Now both publications are cutting back dramatically. The Independent-Tribune is owned by Media General, out of Richmond, Va. Publisher Terry Coomes could not be reached for comment. An announcement is expected soon.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good grief. That used to be a pretty decent paper. Sure, the Charlotte Observer was better but it did a solid job with Cabarrus County.

Now this. You reap what you sow, MG.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Shit. I grew up reading The Tribune. This won't go over well come high school football season. Sad.

4. SportsGuyBCK

I worked for the Concord Tribune back in the late 1980s (back when it and the Kannapolis paper were owned by Roy Park, who could give guys like Dean Singleton lessons on how to pull every penny of profit out of a newspaper) ... ever since MG combined the two papers and Kennedy retired, they've brought in incompetent publisher after incompetent publisher (and they've brought in equally-qualified editors) that have done nothing but run off the talent and gutted the coverage (especially in sports; what was once a 4-person staff covering seven high schools and NASCAR/Lowe's Motor Speedway was dropped to two people back in 2006) ...

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Guy who used to be the sports editor there was/is a good friend of mine. They drove him out of the business, before the current economic apocalypse.

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Shoot, how do you go from daily to 3 a week?! And how do you convince people that the next step isn't just closing down altogether?

7. SportsGuyBCK

The other question is: Just which other MG papers are being considered for a similar move? I can think of a few of the North Carolina papers that might be facing something like this ...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You don't.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm still waiting to hear about when my interview for the sports editor job will be.

As of 10:47 p.m. EDT, it's been 32 months.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What is the 32nd anniversary? Gold plated lead?

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Reidsville and Eden might as well close with the Danville paper adding a couple of their reporters to fill the gap, since they're designed in Danville anyway.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

So you put together The Gridiron Report. That was one of the joys of Sunday mornings during the fall. It went away when the paper merged with K-town and started publishing on Saturday. I wonder if it will be making a comeback with these changes. Aw, who am I kidding.

Draft saved Draft deleted