1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More About Online Comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

His bad for not finding out what "inappropriate" and abusive really means, I guess. But fuck, when are people going to say enough is enough and get rid of comments already?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/21/AR2009082103227.html

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I guess you didn't read where it looks like the wife was right in this case. Sometimes comments tell the story. The guy was called out by his soon-to-be ex-wife because he lied to the Post.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I read it and I'm not as convinced as you are. Actually, I'm not convinced either way.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I just don't think this is a good test case for why online comments should be nixed. Any story on welfare or immigration would be a stronger case.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I get to sort through abusive comments. I hate that part of my job. People are idiots.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not just idiots, but mean idiots.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Online comments are pointless. I abhor them, though ever since we started charging for our online product, we have seen a dramatic drop in comments but a steady increase with subscriptions. So that tells me it's the loonies that have access to a computer and just want e-fame that leave the dumbass comments.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Charge for the comments.

I have been sounding this refrain for years.

People can't help but see their comments on a site.

And, it DOES clean out the whackos.

9. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I'm not in disagreement with you on this. I will say, however, that newspaper publishers and editors (particularly the spectacular line of dimwits I've work for over the years) may have a tough time crafting a defense to readers/users who start screaming "youse guys love to rail about 'free speech' but only when it's convenient for you."

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There isn't free speech in this country.

There are obscenity laws.

Draft saved Draft deleted