1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morale boosting at Florida Today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BDC99, Oct 9, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Bob Stover, longtime executive editor of Florida Today, thought his staff needed their spirits lifted so he arranged what became dubbed “Pie Day” in the newsroom. The plan was to have the Gannett paper’s journalists bake pies and other treats to share on Thursday.

I’m told that Stover was in a meeting on Wednesday afternoon, discussing today’s morale-boosting event, when he was summoned to the publisher’s office. One staffer tells me the newsroom heard raised voices and “the next thing you know he walks out saying he just resigned.”
  2. That seems like a half-baked idea.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

So the guy is in the middle of a morale-booster meeting, goes to visit with the publisher for a minute, and then quits.

That should do wonders for morale around that place.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

An appropriate morale-booster would be to throw the pies in some Gannett executives' faces.
  6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Member

I've got a special recipe for a pie like that -- made with concrete ... :)
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pie Day sounds like something Sparky Lyle would have loved to "celebrate" in his own unique way.
  8. Bob Stover may be the biggest horse's ass in a Gannett stable that's full of them.

Certainly won't be shedding any tears over his departure.
  9. wheels89

wheels89 Member

When one of the biggest Gannettoids has an angry exchange with the publisher and resigns, you know the company is in a real world of shit.
Draft saved Draft deleted