1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moral and ethical quandry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bydesign77, Sep 10, 2010.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Local referee president charged with "inappropriate contact with a minor." His bail has a stipulation that he cannot have contact with children under 17 without supervision.

http://www.macon.com/2010/09/10/1258829/prosecutor-wants-tighter-bail.html

Personal discloser: I am a member of the official's association. I knew nothing about this until today when Jason sent out a letter to the members about support from the association and his fight against the charge.

I know that he is innocent until proven guilty. But I have an issue with the idea of him continuing to officiate games while out on bail. Mainly, if I was him, I wouldn't want to expose myself to further issues. Also, I don't think it's a good impression for the association with the stigma that goes with the charge.

I looked at our schedule, and he's been the referee on at least three varsity games this season already and schedule for his fourth tonight. In the article, Raynette Evans, the county's athletic director states, in error, that she was certain he hadn't been the "head official" at any varsity games since his arrest.

The journalist in me wants to correct the information with the paper. The referee in me wants to protect my "brother." The personal side of me wants him to stop calling games until the charge is dismissed or proven false.

Of course, most of the other officials support him, as I suppose they should. But really, what can I do?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Your job as a journalist is to tell the news. You should probably tell the news.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I guess I should have clarified this, mustang, I'm not in the business anymore. So I don't have a stake in that area. But since I was, I still have that urge to do the journalistic thing.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

byd,

I don't think that officiating games would violate his parole since there would seem to be plenty of supervision.

Since this has been in the papers, I don't really see a need to get involved.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Adults make choices and choices have consequences...

If you stop officiating with him or with the association until this is resolved, you have probably burnt a bridge with that association that will be hard to repair.

If you go to him privately and suggest that he voluntarily pull himself from the officials' roster until all of this is resolved, you will probably have a strained relationship with him for a VERY long time - - regardless of his guilt or innocence.

If you provide info to the local paper - - on or off the record - - regarding the erroneous statement made by the County Athletic Director, you will likley piss off people on all sides of this issue including the police/prosecutor who will then be exposed as not knowing what the suspect is doing at all times.

Ethical problems can only be resolved by the person who perceives them. However, I would suggest that you try to figure out what you want to be your role/position in that community once this issue is resolved one way or the other because various actions now can make some future roles for you more difficult to achieve or more uncomfortable.

6. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

As an official, I can certainly say if I were working with a guy who has not been to court and been acquitted, I would not work with him. I would talk to the booking agent and have myself taken away from his crew.

Second, I would support him because officials stick together and he is innocent until proven guilty. But you have to analyze yourself whether you feel he is guilty or not. If you think the charges are bogus, then I would certainly make that known.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm curious about the definition of "supervision." If he's the head official, is anyone technically supervising him? I know he's around other adults, but that's probably not enough to fulfill the conditions of his bail, is it?

Not sure what you'd want to do with that information, though.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Quandary. Just saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted