1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mora, Jr.: Seahawks Asst. Head Coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Jan 21, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Just heard a report on this on the radio. Don't know the truth of it.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Excellent reporting.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Got a little geographically closer to that Washington job, huh? :)

Watch your back, Ty. Watch your back. :)

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Ha ha. Yeah, a friend of a friend told me... :)

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Would Holmgren really let this happen? Or was it his idea? Maybe he chose Mora Jr. as his legacy, I don't know.
    As far as Mora Jr., replacing Ty at UW, I don't buy it. I know he said he would take that job, but I think Ty has at least 3 more years on the UW job.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I agree, at least I hope so. I'm just f'ing around. :) I love Ty, he's a good man.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He'll either be the next Huskies coach or the next Seahawks coach, whichever opens first...

Somehow I don't think Holmgren is threatened. The guy has been to three Super Bowls and is the highest-paid coach in the NFL. I don't think he's worried about looking over his shoulder...

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Holmgren's contract is up after 2008, and it's expected that he'll move up to a GM-level position around then. He's grooming Mora to be his replacement.

Mike Sando (Tacoma) had the team/Mora talking posted on his blog yesterday when he arrived in Chicago for the game, and verified the official news this morning...

Holmgren adds Mora to staff

Jim Mora has reached agreement with the Seahawks to join their defensive staff as assistant head coach/secondary. These discussions apparently began Friday. Mora had been in the mix for the Dolphins' head-coaching vacancy, but Miami went with Cam Cameron.

I emphasized Mora's relationship with Hawks president Tim Ruskell in my analysis yesterday, but it appears Mike Holmgren was leading the way on this one. I get the sense from talking to people in the organization that Holmgren feels some added urgency heading into the final two years of his contract, particularly after coming so close to a second consecutive NFC title game. Mora and Holmgren worked out the details Saturday. The team confirmed the deal moments ago.

"I'm excited to have the opportunity to add someone to the staff with the energy and passion that Jim brings to the game," Holmgren said in a statement. " He is a strong teacher and talented coach who will make us better."

And from Mora: "I'm thrilled to join not only what I believe is a quality organization, but for
    the chance to work with one of the finest head coaches in the league. That, coupled with the opportunity for my family to be in the great northwest is extremely excitin

9. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

NFL Network just reported that Mora was named Seattle's secondary coach.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

It's not news until Lenny, Mort or Clayton say it's news.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Len: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2738258

Draft saved Draft deleted