1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moonlighting as sports talk radio host

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Traveling, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Traveling

Traveling Member

Anyone out there who balances both? I'm a sports editor of a small daily and have the opportunity to, shall we say, expand my reach and influence. So any advice or stories that you can pass on, be it in this thread or via BM, would be greatly appreciated.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If any advice is given that way, odds are, it'd be pretty shitty.

3. Traveling

Traveling Member

Coming from a poster whose initials are B.S., it figures you would know best.

I'm hoping people get that BM in my original post stands for board mail.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No matter how dumb you think you are, to do talk radio, you have to get dumber.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

are you doing this specifically to expand your brand and your paper's brand? In other words are you going on the air as "Podunk press sports editor Traveling"? If so, that's a good move. It opens you up to a new audience.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If you're doing it daily, it will take up more of your time than you realize. You end up cheating both jobs.

7. Traveling

Traveling Member

That's how I'm selling it to my superiors. The reception from that argument was good.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That's the optimum defense. But they'll notice if you don't hold up their end.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We have a couple of our writers who do weekly shows. They're not sports editors, and they do no more than once a week.

I think any more than that, for a sports editor of a small daily, would be a hell of a load to take on. Regardless of what we like to think, you can't come in as a sports talk show host with your mind completely empty of ideas. Especially in the early days, you've got to have a little more game than to come in, turn on the phone lines and wait. That can lead to a lot of dead air.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I did it for a few years when I was covering the NFL. I did two hours three times a week during the season and four times a week after the season. I also did the pre-game show.

It didn't interfere with my job in the slightest. The paper loved the exposure.

That's the way to sell it. Tell them, "Every time I'm introduced, the paper is mentioned and I'll talk about other stories in the papers as well..."

Don't tell them what you're being paid. Be vague about it if you can. Don't lie, but don't offer anything up unless you have to.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

You should do it, but smasher is right that your work can suffer.

Sports radio really launched my career, so I'm a big believer in what it can accomplish. Plus, it can be the most fun of the written/broadcast media. Just be who you are. If you're not funny, don't try to be funny.

As for Smasher's point, it really depends on how much time you're spending there. If were talking 15 hours a week, yes, it really will cut into the quality of your written/reporting work.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

One of the areas where it really has impact is a radio show is always at a firm time. Most of us in print are accustomed to having some flexibility, apart from deadline.

If your show is from 2 to 6 every day, you do the show. You don't go to games or practices then. If someone calls a press conference, you probably don't attend it. It makes a bigger difference than you think, and it can be even more of a factor if a print employer expects you to Tweet and blog.

And while it does increase visibility, it can also decrease the impact of what you do in print. People who want your take on the coach's firing don't need to read it after they've heard you talk about it for two hours. If people listen to the show, they have less reason to read you or react in that forum.

Draft saved Draft deleted