1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moonlight Graham Award: Greatest Cup of Coffee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Then there was Bill Sharman, better known as a basketball great...as a late season callup by the Dodgers was thrown out of a big league game without ever having appeared in one...as the story goes, the plate ump got tired of carping from the dugout and threw everyone out, including Sharman....

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

some outstanding examples here. my personal fave:

walter alston, former dodgers manager, had one at-bat in the show. one strikeout.

thanks for the audition, kid.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Don Cherry played one NHL game - in the playoffs - for the Bruins in 1954-55.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Charles Faust

Charles "Victory" Faust (1880-1915) was a major league baseball player whose career, statistically speaking, was only slightly lengthier than that of Moonlight Graham, but who was regarded by his team, the New York Giants, as a good luck charm.

His story was told by Giants center fielder Fred Snodgrass in The Glory of Their Times. Here is a capsule summary:

Born Charles Victor Faust, and also known as Charlie Faust, he won a spring tryout with the Giants in 1911, after informing manager John McGraw that a fortune teller back home in Kansas had told him he needed to go pitch for the Giants and help them win the pennant.

Faust had no real pitching ability, but McGraw was a superstitious sort, and brought Faust along. He actually put him in for a couple of innings in different games, late in the 1911 season.

According to Snodgrass, Faust stuck with the team for three seasons, mostly as a mascot rather than a roster player, and during that time the Giants won three pennants, although they failed to win a World Series (Snodgrass himself made an infamous error in the final game of the 1912 Series). After the 1913 season, Faust told McGraw he was not a well man, and would be unable to help them in 1914.

And, as Snodgrass pointed out, the Giants did not win the pennant that year. However, Snodgrass said that Faust died that winter of 1913-14, which was not quite accurate. He actually died in the late spring of 1915, at the age of 34.

Two games, two IP, one run, 4.50 ERA, 0-0 W-L record

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Everybody loves somebody, sometime . . .

6. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

WHAT A CAREER! JOHN PACIOREK WAS PERFECT
    STEVEN K. WAGNER
    LOS ANGELES TIMES
    1043 words
    17 February 1991
    The Seattle Times
    WEEKEND
    C5
    English
    © 1991 Seattle Times. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights reserved.

Each spring, John Paciorek remembers.

He remembers a sweltering autumn day in 1963. He remembers a Colt Stadium crowd in Houston that cheered his every move, both at the plate and in the field. And he remembers his performance, one that might never be matched.

That day, John Paciorek, 18, made baseball history.

On Sept. 29, 1963, in the final game of the season, Paciorek - in his major-league debut - stroked three singles, drove in three runs and scored four times for the Houston Colt .45s. He also walked twice, made two running catches, and showed Manager Harry Craft - whose club finished ninth in the National League - there was reason for optimism in 1964.

In all, Paciorek - the brother of former major-leaguer Tom Paciorek - batted 3 for 3. He had, it turned out, a career day. Literally.

That game, a 13-4 victory over the New York Mets, was the only major-league game in which Paciorek would play. He left baseball with a ``lifetime'' batting average of 1.000 - and the finest all-around one-game ``career'' in major-league history.

Each spring, when ballparks from Palm Springs, Calif., to Vero Beach, Fla., are teeming with excitement, John Paciorek, now 45, remembers. And he wonders what might have been.

Why did Paciorek drift into baseball obscurity - and immortality - after that brilliant debut?

Now living in San Gabriel, Calif., just outside Los Angeles, Paciorek said a chronic back condition deteriorated after the 1963 season. Though invited to spring training the next season, severe pain limited Paciorek's success and forced him to undergo back surgery. He never again reached the major leagues.

Even so, no one can take away The Game.

``It was like a dream - I couldn't believe it was happening,'' said Paciorek, who is billed as a ``one-day wonder'' in the 1990 Guinness Book of World Records.

``I don't know why, but everything seemed to slow down when I faced major-league pitching.''

Paciorek's major-league career can be traced to 1962. Born and raised in Detroit, he earned high-school All-America honors in baseball, basketball and football. In 1962, during his senior year at St. Ladislaus High, Paciorek signed a contract with the Colt .45s, later to become the Astros.

General Manager Paul Richards had high hopes for the 6-foot-2, 210-pound Paciorek.

During his first spring training camp in 1963, Paciorek ``hit everything is sight.'' In an effort to facilitate his development, Richards sent Paciorek to the club's Class A team in Modesto, Calif., where he played well until suffering the back injury that ultimately would end his career. His intensity and obsession for exercise exacerbated the injury, hastening his departure from baseball.

``I was always hustling,'' said Paciorek, now a schoolteacher. ``I would sprint on and off the field. I would back up everybody. I played very much like Pete Rose even before Rose became known for it.

``I didn't do it for show - I always wanted to be the best I could be.''

The season began with a disappointed Paciorek (``I wanted to be like Al Kaline - I didn't want to spend a day in the minors.'') in Modesto and the Colts floundering. As the months passed, the Colts slid deeper into the second division. At the same time, Paciorek's physical problems - he also had developed a chronically sore throwing arm - worsened. So did his hitting.

With one game left on the schedule, Craft - in an effort to preview his young talent - decided to field a starting lineup that featured eight rookies, including Joe Morgan, Jim Wynn, Rusty Staub and Chris Zachary. Despite his slump, Paciorek - hurting but still hustling - was selected to start in right field.

``They asked me if I wanted to play, and I said `yeah,' Paciorek said.

And play he did, lining a single down the third-base line and a single between shortstop and third base, and bouncing a third single deep into the hole.

``I don't remember any interviews after the game, but the next day my name was plastered all over the news,'' he said. ``They said, `This guy's here to stay.' ''

In its account of the game, the New York Times wrote that Paciorek ``found nothing difficult about the majors,'' adding, ``Paciorek doesn't yet know what it's like to make an out in the big leagues.''

The only person not surprised by his performance was Paciorek, who received a standing ovation before his final at-bat.

``I had hit way over .300 in spring training,'' Paciorek said. ``I always thought I belonged.''

Of the eight rookies who started, only Paciorek and shortstop Glenn Vaughan never played again. The others, including Ivan Murrell and John Bateman, had long careers.

The next season, Paciorek returned for spring training. Still hurting, he couldn't hit or throw effectively. The Colts sent him back to the minors.

``I was terrible,'' he said. ``I did nothing.''

By midseason, Paciorek had undergone back surgery. He spent 10 months in a back brace, then bounced around the minor leagues until Houston released him in 1967.

``They gave me every opportunity to make the team,'' he said. ``They bent over backward for me.''

The Cleveland Indians invited him to spring training in 1968, sent him back to the minors, then released him in 1969. Paciorek's baseball career was finished.

Tom Paciorek, now a broadcaster for the Chicago White Sox, called the short duration of his brother's major-league career ``sad.''

``He was much better than I was,'' said the younger Paciorek, who spent 18 years in the majors. ``He could have had a long major-league career.''

John Paciorek views his unusual big-league career more philosophically than plaintively.

``It's kind of a dubious honor,'' he said. ``But I guess I'm immortalized. I did something no one else has ever done.''

Perhaps the Houston Post said it best in its account of the game. In conferring upon Paciorek ``the unofficial major-league batting title,'' the newspaper waxed prophetic.

``The rest of (Paciorek's) career,'' it declared, tongue in cheek, ``may be an anticlimax.''

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Is that the dude the NYT did a Sunday piece on a while back? Good story.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

My vote is for Harper Lee.

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

How about the late John Kennedy Toole?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Percy Howard's only NFL reception was a 34-yard touchdown catch late in Super Bowl X for the Dallas Cowboys.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

In a technical sense, Neon Bible was Toole's first swing, not Dunces, but even if you throw that out (since he wrote it when he was 16) Mockingbird was her ONLY shot, and is a better book than CofD anyway.

12. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

True. I was just putting his name into the mix.

Draft saved Draft deleted