1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moonlight Graham Award: Greatest Cup of Coffee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Aug 27, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

September 29 1963, John Paciorek age 18, Houston Colt .45's, went 3 for 3 with 4 runs scored, 3 RBI and 2 BBs. Made 2 put outs in RF.
    He never played in another Major League game.

There have been 971 players in Major League history to play or appear in only 1 game in their career. None have ever hit a home run.

513 pitchers have appeared in only 1 game in their major league career, over 30 have won that game.

Moral: If you get the chance, swing for fences.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

I believe John Pacoriek was the older brother of Tom Pacoriek, who had a decent career and later became a broadcaster. I think John Pacoriek got in an auto accident after he played in the major leagues and that pretty much ruined his career.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Adam Greenberg is Moonlight Graham.

Cubs called him up in, I believe, 2005. He pinch hits in his first game against the Marlins and gets hit in the head with the first pitch he sees. He hasn't been back.

Last I heard he was in somebody else's minor league system trying to make it back to the bigs.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He must have winked at the pitcher.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Don't wink, kid

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's at AA Wichita, the Royals organization.

The Cubs released him November 2006.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/adam-greenberg.shtml

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Paciorek is a pretty good choice here.

There's also Aubrey Epps, who went 3-for-4 with a triple, a run and three RBI in his only game. Caught the Pirates' final game at Cincy in 1935.

And Ray Jansen, who holds the record for most hits in a one-game career, going 4-for-5, all singles, in his only appearance in 1910. He also made three errors in 10 chances at third base. The epitome of all-hit, no-field.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I knew Paciorek was the thread-starter before I opened it up.

Hockey = Dean Morton.

Played one game for the Detroit Red Wings. A defenceman coming out of junior. Scored in the season opener against the Flames in Calgary, the night they raised the Stanley Cup banner. Winning goal in 9-8 game, I believe. Never played another NHL game. Now an on-ice official. (I looked it up years back, one of two players who scored in his only NHL game.)

YHS, etc

9. statrat

statrat Member

This award has to go to Ron Wright, who appeared in one game as DH for the Mariners. As was mentioned on a thread a few months back, he is the only player to hit into a cycle of outs (K, DP, triple play) in one game. Was never seen in the bigs again.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The next one's going to be low and away, or in my ear.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Mr. Friend O' beat me to Dean Morton. Was a ref in the OHl for a number of years, now in the NHL I believe.

12. Robin Yount's brother, Larry, was a pitcher in the Astros organization. He had just come into the game, in his big league debut, and was warming up on the mound when, evidently, he felt pain in his elbow. He came out of the game after being announced as the next pitcher but before throwing a live pitch.

I don't believe he ever appeared in another game.

Talk about a tale of two brothers.

Draft saved Draft deleted