1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moonies selling Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, May 1, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/30/AR2010043002043.html

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Those aren't rats and snakes, that's upper management.

3. eyecu

eyecu Member

I'm interested to see if they bring back a sports section. Many of those folks they laid off have found other jobs.

4. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

The paper has no chance of surviving. Mark it down.

It's operated at massive deficits for years, but the Rev. Moon was OK with that because it gave him political voice and power. Prospective buyers will take one look at the books and run like hell.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

So true. Surprised this hasn't happened many years before now.

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

The paper's done.

Even so, I don't think many of the unemployed Times guys would even consider it.

They still seem pissed at their former employer judging from their Twitter posts and what not, and I can't say I blame them.

Could be wrong, though.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Uncle Rupert bought it on the cheap. It would fit in with his other properties and give him another D.C. voice. Then again, his wallet is a little skinnier these days.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the Moonies or the conservative bent of the paper, but I know a lot of really good people who've worked for that paper. I hope they land on their feet and prosper while the snakes and rats who run it get what's coming to them.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hard to believe the nation's capitol will be a one paper town.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The paper's former editor, Solomon, has entered the fray as a potential buyer.
    The moonies are willing to part with it fairly cheaply — $10 to $15 million — so coming up with that kind of cash might not be that hard.
    And since he worked there, he knows what he is getting into.

11. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

that is hard to believe...

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The cash price might be cheap, but if you have to service the paper's debt, then it's not such a deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted