1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moon trashes 'racially biased' criticism of Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 31, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Call it what you will. There's nothing I can post on this thread (or now perhaps any other, considering YGBFKM's habit of following me around) that isn't going to bring a personal attack.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He and I have roughly equal experience about what it's like being a quarterback headed to the NFL in 2011.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Rick nailed it with his characterization of you and his point about Moon. I guess you're going to decide that I'm his brother now, right?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Racially biased goes both ways. Think Jason Sehorn or Kirk Hinrich ever got raised eyebrows because of questions about their ability to play at the next level? I know Hinrich did.

5. outofplace

Nothiing like what happened to Moon. The guy probably should have been the top pick in the draft and the NFL wouldn't even give him a shot out of college. I'm sure he sees what happened to him in all the criticism of Newton, except Newton is going to get his shot and he's going to get it as a top-10 pick.

I understand Moon's reaction. It makes sense given his history. But as I said, this ain't the '70s and he's wrong on this one.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Moon has every right to say his feelings. What happened to him in the 1970s was crap. However, this is 2011 and there have been dozens of highly drafted and highly successful black quarterbacks (and I hate using that term, but this story has made it a phrase again) in the past 20 years.

Vick went No. 1, McNabb was a No. 2, Akili Smith was a No. 3...Culpepper, Campbell, Leftwich, Freeman, Quincy Carter were all drafted in the top two rounds. While there still likely are racists in the NFL, it is not the trend. The majority of teams have had starting black quarterbacks...

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I understand Moon's sensitivity, here.

But, then, he's being paid very well to act sensitively while carrying Cam's water.

What EVERYBODY is forgetting here is that Moon's multiple quarterbacking attributes were leavened with fatal flaws . . . most notably, that he was the most consistent fumbler of any big-name quarterback in
    NFL history. And a good team can't afford that liability. Can't. Afford. It.

Next.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Dave Krieg would like to make a rebuttal, but he fumbled his notes.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It must be something in the Seattle water supply.

Not to mention that Dave K didn't get the buildup Moon got.

10. outofplace

Are you trying to say that is why NFL teams passed on Moon? Or just saying he wasn't that great?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly - this is a well orchestrated plan by "Team Newton".

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Moon is an idiot.

Newton is getting picked apart right now. So is Blaine Gabbert. So is Ryan Mallet. So is Jake Locker.

Draft saved Draft deleted