1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moon trashes 'racially biased' criticism of Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think he said anything that bad about him. He said plenty of good things about him too.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He also said if Jimmer Fredette were white, he'd be the 1st pick in the NBA draft

3. sully84

sully84 New Member

No, I wouldn't. That experience is interesting and applicable in some situations. But I just don't really see it being applicable to this one.
    Very many first round draft picks face doubters, white or black. I can't see how some pundits, not an unusual amount, being critical of Newton (who comes from a spread background, which often attracts skepticism, anyway) is unfair to the point that the race card must be played.
    And, like others have said, Moon is calling out others for not being objective while he seems to have an interest in Newton, himself, and is not objective. That's his business. But I think he's dead wrong on this one.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

All I know is this - the tebow comparison is a good one and the coach who drafted him was fired at least in part because he wasted a first round pick on him

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suppose there's probably some truth to this. Some people just don't want a black to be their team's quarterback. Fine. That's their opinion. As long as there are different races, race is always going to be an issue, whether in sports, politics or anything else.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

No, if there's truth to this, it's not fine. There just needs to be more evidence than a bunch of scouts and sports writers picking apart the character and mechanics of a potention overall number one pick because that happens to all potential number one picks regardless of race.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Drafting Tebow was way down the list, if it was a reason at all. Hell, the way Tebow played at the end of last season, it was the only bright spot all year for McDaniels.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Not the Moon I was expecting.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Same here.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Warren Moon has every right to say what he said. He also has every right to be sensitive as hell about this topic, because the racism that cost him a shot at the NFL out of college was blatant as hell.

That said, this isn't the 1970s and Newton is going to be a top-10 pick. Moon can say what he wants, but he's dead wrong.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Exactly.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This rekindles the comments Donovan McNabb made a few years back about how black quarterbacks have it harder. What followed was a whole lot of white guys in the media, feeling defensive, huffing and puffing about how wrong Donovan McNabb was.

Draft saved Draft deleted