1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moon trashes 'racially biased' criticism of Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 31, 2011.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Gee, that sounds an awful lot like ... Brett Favre.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ah, the Favre comparison.

Just about the dumbest thing anybody can say about a quarterback coming out of college is that the kid reminds them of Brett Favre.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I read with interest at my day job an account of Newton at the scouting combine. On the record -- people who said positive things about Newton's ability. Off the record -- people who said negative things. No exceptions. If those are Nawrocki's own opinions, that's OK and he can live with them. If he is echoing the off-the-record contentions of the bunch of old washerwomen who infest sports management in every sport, I'm not impressed. And it sure seems like A LOT of either suppositions unsupported by cited evidence or recycling of scout bullshit.
    Let one of those SOBs put their name to such claims. Then we'd have news.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He was on espn radio last night.. He said they were all the opinions of... well, the old washerwomen types you mentioned.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

but Mizzou says the're all true

6. sully84

sully84 New Member

The Tebow comparison some of you guys are making really blows up Moon's stupid contention. Both players were very dominant in college in a spread system and Tebow absolutely had his pro potential trashed by pundits much more ferociously than Newton, and objectively so.
    I don't know how Newton can be portrayed as a victim at any point for the rest of his career. The fact that anybody ever says anything favorable about the guy for the rest of his life shows that people are being more than fair with him. His youthful mistakes have been very public, whether people care about them or not, but I feel like people have been pretty fair to look past all of his personal flaws a lot when evaluating him. If not, who cares? Fair or not, his image as a player and a person have a lot more to do with his personal actions and his undeniable abilities than his race.
    Moon was a great player and so is Newton, but while there are times when race is a big issue, this is not one of those times.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Well, you certainly would know more than Warren Moon about the experience of being a black quarterback in the NFL.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

So now you have to have been a black quarterback to know if criticism is racially motivated?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No, but you can't just declare it irrelevant and unfounded from your perch as a white sportswriter. I mean, I guess you can, but it's more of a comment on yourself than it is on Moon or Newton.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Black, white or purple, you need to have some proof before you play the race card. People who cry wolf prevent the notion of true equality almost as much as racists themselves.

I've heard way more white sportswriters call Tim Tebow fake than Cam Newton. When you're at the top of your class (which in football these potential first-round picks are), you get picked apart by those who do the hiring. They are investing a shitload of money in these picks. That's just the way it works.

11. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Lazy media alert: Hey, Warren Moon is annoyed with comments about Newton AND he works with Newton, so it can't JUST be about race! (Never mind the inherent bias from Moon working with him...)

Let's run with it like our usual racial bias story!

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Has Warren Moon ever heard of Ryan Mallett? At least Newton is allegedly fake and not a meth user.

Draft saved Draft deleted