1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moon trashes 'racially biased' criticism of Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 31, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14879833/moon-angry-over-perceived-racial-bias-toward-newton

I suppose some of what Warren Moon says should be taken to heart, considering he was among the first and most successful black QBs and has personally worked with Newton since before the Combine.

But, he says doubts over whether Newton could run a pro-style offense coming out of a spread are racially biased? He uses Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford as examples of white QBs who didn't face the same doubts. I seem to recall both of them facing an awful lot of doubts.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How far did McCoy fall in the draft? Wasn't he a third-round pick? That seems like quite a few doubters.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah but that was more because of his spaghetti noodle of an arm than the spread offense.

I never discount what Warren Moon says on this subject. He may be oversensitive about it and he may even be on Cam's agent's payroll -- not uncommon when you hear a former star talking up a current draftee -- but the six years he spent in Canada because the NFL couldn't see him as a quarterback counts for something.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Would a fairer comparison be Cam Newton/Tim Tebow?

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Moon's not doing Cam any favors by saying this crap. Come on. It's a tired tactic.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with jlee's comment on the Tebow/Newton comparison. Moon is entitled to say what he believes on this issue. It's a dues question. Talk to otherwise extremely calm Hank Aaron about race in the U.S. sometime.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed, Tebow is the more accurate comparison. And Tebow faced even more pro doubt than Newton has.

8. Mizzougrad96

Newton has so many doubters that CBS Sports and several other websites project him as the top pick in the draft.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Disagree.

Tebow ran for 3 yd touchdowns, did jump passes for TDs, and had a very slow delivery, one that bordered on people considering he was the next Matt Jones.

Newton is a "running QB" but he's more of the McNabb running, not Tebow. Newton's motion is slightly less than ideal but far from needing an overhaul like Tebow was perceived.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

We're in the CYA period that occurs before the draft every year.

This is the time when scouts nitpick every little negative about a guy so if he flops they can say, "See I told you!"

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wait 'til Moon sees what PFW's Nolan Nawrocki had to say about Newton:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/40296/draft-analyst-unloads-on-cam-newton

12. Mizzougrad96

Nawrocki has Newton going 15th to the Dolphins, which is the lowest (by far) I've seen him going in any of the mocks.

Everything Nawrocki wrote is dead-on, but it still won't make Newton fall out of the top 10.

Draft saved Draft deleted