1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monument Valley trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Anyone done this?

Any recommends?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You're goddamn right, I do. If you go near that area and don't spend some time at Monument Valley, Arches and Zion, you need your ass beat.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Beautiful area, Simon.

Get an Indian Taco at Monument Valley.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Watch for stray dogs in Kayenta.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Now, I owe it to myself to tell you, Mr. Griswold, that if you are thinking of taking the tribe cross country, this is your automobile. The Wagon Queen Family Truckster. You think you hate it now, but wait till you drive it.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I once stayed at a Holiday Inn in Kayenta, Arizona. :D

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Agreed. And if you go to Arches, make sure you visit Dead Horse Point State Park across the street.

That's my favorite part of the country and I can't wait to get back out there some time.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oh hell yeah. Woke up on the last day of a Southwest swing in Cortez, Colo. Hit Four Corners at sunrise, headed west, got lost on a Navajo road (longest 45 minutes of my life, never been so happy to see asphalt), got a flat tire, put on the donut, made it to Monument Valley, took some pictures, left after about 15 minutes, had about 5 hours to get to Tucson for a wedding, just made it (still driving the donut) before the bride walked down the aisle. What a day. Just realize - there isn't a lot of stuff around there besides the Valley - but it's still worth the trip.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One of the most beautiful places on earth. I think we've gone there 3 of the 4 past summers and we're probably going again this year.

We plan to stay here: http://www.monumentvalleyview.com/

It was under construction last summer. I think it just opened in January. It's one of two hotels near Monument Valley (Gouldings is the other), and the only one where you can actually see the valley from your room. It's attached to the visitor's center. It should be spectacular.

Otherwise, you're staying in a Motel 6 30 miles away in Kayenta, dodging the stray dogs outside McDonalds.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you can see it from the highway. You can't. You have to pay the fee to the Indians and drive down into the valley on a dirt road, or take a tour. The road is rough but we've done it in a minivan with no problems. The tours are supposed to be tremendous - they take you places you're not allowed to drive to - but dust is a major problem riding in an open jeep on dirt roads.

One of my favorite things in the area is the local radio station. They play old country (think Patsy Cline and Ferlin Husky), CNN Headline News, and traditional Navajo music, with DJs that speak Navajo. It's a trip.

While you're in the area I highly recommend Canyon de Chelly, about 80 miles south of Monument Valley. It's in the middle of Navajo country, for my money it's far neater than the Grand Canyon, and absolutely nobody goes there. It'll be you, some German tourists, and a few Navajos selling their artwork. It's pretty spectacular.

About 100 miles west is Antelope Canyon, just outside Page. Do a Google image search for Antelope Canyon. It'll knock you on your ass.

3Bags is right about Zion. And Bryce Canyon is pretty amazing too.

Have fun. It's one of my favorite parts of the country.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Definitely stay at a hotel there, not in the town. Also, Bryce is nice, but if you have to pick between that and Zion, definitely go with Zion.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Stay away from Colorado City. That's all I got.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Shameless float job....

Draft saved Draft deleted