1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montreal riots -- wrong time of year!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

The Habs are nowhere near the playoffs and yet the Montrealers are rioting.

Police bracing themselves for more tonight.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i4ffFONRmWjkHndkWW8dMZR7YC9gD92G5ML00

MONTREAL (AP) — Rioting broke out late Sunday in a Montreal neighborhood where a young man was shot to death by police over the weekend. A police officer was shot in the leg, stores were looted and firefighters were pelted with beer bottles.

Several hundred officers in riot gear fanned out in search of a group of youths who ran off after torching eight cars parked outside a fire station in Montreal North, a multiethnic neighborhood with simmering tensions between residents and police. Fire trucks responding to the call in Montreal North were pelted with beer bottles, while at least three bus shelters were trashed.

The violence erupted following a peaceful community protest against the shooting by police on Saturday of three people, including an 18-year-old man, identified by his sister as Freddy Alberto Villanueva, who died of his wounds.

On Sunday, men and women of all ages crawled through the smashed windows of a pawn shop, a convenience store and a butcher shop, grabbing anything they could. They could be seen running down the street clutching TVs, cigarette cartons and slabs of meat.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

While the jewelry store and the bank go untouched, of course.

Plus ça change, etc.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Oh yeah ... it's Quebec ... smokes and smoked meat!

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Just to be clear, I'm nowhere near Montreal.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"Dans l'intéret de Dieu ils pillent le roi de nourriture !"

6. Flash

Flash Guest

You looked that up somewhere.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, I translated it somewhere. There's a reason I went to summer school.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What does God's Internet want to do with anything (well, besides Notre Dame victories)?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As Mayor Drapeau used to say, "The parade will follow the usual route" :)

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

A non-hockey riot in Montreal?
    I thought this was how Montrealers rolled when they get their swerve on:

Draft saved Draft deleted