1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montreal reporters get Time and Half on vacation = Lockout

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EE94, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Do you just not know how to do the blue font? That's got to be it, right?
    If you're serious ... well, god help you. Name me one -- ONE -- full-time job where you don't get some sort of paid vacation? It's not about budgeting wisely and not needing all of your paycheck. That's common fucking sense. It's about being able to budget your time and doing something besides work. I know every day is a vacation when you're going door to door selling steak knives, but some of us like to take a few days off from our mundane lives every now and then.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Actually, I have worked PLENTY of Christmases, thank you. And New Year's, and thanksgiving and whatever other holiday you can pull out. Last month, I hardly knew what to do on Christmas with no office to go to and no NHL games on the schedule. A least a movie theatre was open... saw the Tom Cruise film "Valkyrie".

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Seriously, I have no idea how one does a blue font on this site. Sorry.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You really don't think highly of yourself or your work if that's how you feel. So now you shouldn't get any sick time either? How do you feel about people being paid overtime? Thank god you don't run a company.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Um, no disrespect, but that's bollocks.

Oh, and Tiger got paid for being injured at the opening tournament of the PGA Tour season. So, there's that as well.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You cover the NHL? Good god, after reading your post on the NHL I now know why it will never breakthrough in some places in the States

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Seriously, getting back to the original post. Maybe it's stuff like that that has gotten papers --- as well as other businesses --- into this financial quagmire to begin with. We eagerly accept raises and bonuses when times are good. But yet we whine to the heavens when the reverse is true.

Are we really so naive as to think this sort of thing wouldn't happen? I'm suprised that it didn't happen years ago.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Just curious as to how old you are?

9. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Oh, this guy is just a complete ass clown. Are you kidding me? I take home barely $2,000 a month, and I should be able to feed my family of three on 75 percent of that, plus rent, gas, insurance, utilities, etc.? What planet are you living on?
    Also, my parents live 600 miles away and aren't getting any younger. If I take off a few days to go see them and don't get a full paycheck when I come back, my bills aren't getting paid. The same presumably applies for the vast majority of the people in this business. I bust my ass for what little money I do make and if I need a couple days off to recharge the batteries every couple of months, I'm damn sure not going to feel guilty about getting paid for that time. Go back to Mommy and Daddy's basement, junior, and don't come back out until you've figured out how the real world works.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It is amazing what some people think is okay.
    The sad thing is that the line of thinking that makes it okay is becoming more and more dominant.

11. Wait, aren't you the guy who said having a mixed-race society is problematic? Was that you or someone else?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Look, no offence intended. I make basically the same amount, so I know where you are coming from, OK?

I couldn't dream of supporting a family of three on that income. (Maybe two incomes, certainly not one.) And then people think I should take a job that pays $12 per hour??? If I can barely survive on $16.50, how the hell am I supposed to make it on $12?

My parents are old and retired, live 2,500 miles away, haven't seen them in years. Although the idea of going back and living there is becoming more and more realistic with each passing month. Not having to make rental payments would be a nice relief. Every month that passes I get deeper and deeper in the hole.

I do bust my ass for what little I make, so, yes, mate, I know the feeling. Too well.

Draft saved Draft deleted