1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montreal Red Bulls of the NHL?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pastor, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I recognize that MLS, and soccer in general, is a different animal than many of the mainstream sports in America. Sponsorship, for one, is much more accepted. So, how would the NHL fanbase react if their team was renamed to a previously established product?

The Globe and Mail.com have this very interesting story.

Red Bull's modus operandi with all of the sports teams they acquire is to rebrand and rename them as part of their own corporate logo. As such, the Montreal Canadiens will become Montreal Red Bulls.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Re: Montreal Red Bulls?

I would say he'd be a fool to do it if it came to be. You can get away with it in a smallish European soccer and MLS, and obviously in F1 where the owner can call his team whatever he wants.

To do that to the Canadiens would be a financial suicide note because no-one would buy any merchandise.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Re: Montreal Red Bulls?

I'm not hockey fan by any stretch of the imagination (though with all the violence, I should be, given my temper), but if that was seriously considered, I would be outraged beyond belief. Les Habs are the only team that can approach the Yankees when it comes to both history and number of championships. Fuck them damn Euros for coming into the States and trying to run our leagues.

(on that note, Bruce Ratner should sell ManU. That team should always be in English hands.)

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

The Cleveland Cavaliers are presented by Cub Cadet.

Makes sense.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

While I would agree in principle, I can't imagine Montreal hockey fans cutting off their nose. It also arguable that the F1 team they took over was a rather big one and they pissed off a significant amount of individuals with that one.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think anyone from Quebec would declare it a cold day in hell before they pulled on a jersey with two Red Bulls butting heads instead of a "C" on the front.

While the Jaguar name might be big, the team hardly was when it was taken over. It was a '97 start-up by Jackie Stewart before Ford and Jaguar got involved and never really competed. In their last season Mark Webber was the teams leading driver, 13th in the standings with 7 points behind both drivers from Sauber.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, it kind of was done once recently - the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (not sure people ever liked that name).

And it used to be done years ago. In the Federal League (1914-15), the Brooklyn team was called the Tip-Tops ... as the owner also owned the Tip-Top bread company. In fact, I think the Milwaukee Admirals of the American Hockey League were called the Admirals because the guy who owned them originally sold Admiral refrigerator products or something.

Now, changing an existing name to a company name ... I don't see that going over very well with people.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Lantaur, I think that is the key difference here. The Mighty Ducks name was their original name when the franchise came in in 1993. It didn't change the name of an established franchise.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

WON'T EVER HAPPEN.

EVER.

You can take that to the bank.

Slow news day at globeandmail.com

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Yup, see the last line in my post.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

We can only hope the Cavs get bought by the Stanley Steamer company......

12. I respectfully disagree.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted