1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montgomery axes three summer interns before they start

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Jun 20, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Since when did media companies become interested in journalism, Bump?

2. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Even if I were to take so cynical a view, I would say that media companies are, or should be, interested in staying in business. Failing to develop talent is not a step in that direction.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't even think they are interested in staying in business. Corporate says make budget. So the publisher's only concern is making budget. Not the future of the paper.

4. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I'm amazed that a Gannett paper was actually planning to pay their interns. Some of them work them to death for free. The one nearest to me now has a "communities" page with stories from unpaid columnists, none of whom have journalism training -- one perhaps self-published a book in the past -- but all do it just to see their name in print, and Gannett loves 'em.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Huck, what the story meant is that Schurz Communications has 13 interns, not just the Bloomington paper. If a paper needs that many interns, counts on that much unpaid help, that takes "spawn of Satan" to a whole 'nother level.

Not that axing three interns who have made the commitment to working at your paper for the summer instead of yukking it up at South Padre makes you any less satanic...

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

This is a hell of an idea and I don't think we're too far from seeing it materialize. If anyone I know outside the business asks me who can put together the company newsletter, get the company mission in the news, plan press conferences and so forth, I will point them in the direction of this business. The people hit every deadline, are fastidious about grammar, punctuation, spelling and facts, and work very hard for their money. Who wouldn't want that on the payroll?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, who besides newspaper publishers?

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Honestly, if I'm one of those interns, I'd seriously think about a career change.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This is one thing that scares me. The more we move closer to what people can find on any message board, blog or news group on the Internet, then the more we are telling them that we're irrelevant, that we're not worth paying for anymore.

We shouldn't be trying to be like "regular folks." We should serve them -- well.

We should be saying, "We're not like your neighbor and his cousin and their friend who blogs. We have standards, ethics, a tradition earned and maintained over decades, a commitment to fairness and accuracy, and we're painfully and gratefully aware of many who laid the foundation for us by spending their lives learning and shaping what is real journalism, real reporting, real news gathering. You get what you pay for, and in what we do, we're better than you are. See?"

And then you do a kick-ass job and prove your point. Make your paper indispensable.

You don't save yourself by giving a column to someone off the streets to save a few bucks and score P.R. points.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Couple interns in the digital media department?

11. What an awkward turn of events in Montgomery. Not unusual, but awkward nonetheless.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's bad PR ... but given the principals in the situation, I'm not shocked by that.

Draft saved Draft deleted