1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montgomery Advertiser doesn't make mistake - readers upset anyway

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DeskMonkey1, Jan 15, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They should adjust it to

(The education at) AU shucks

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

They should've changed the main art to this:

[​IMG]

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Maybe a comma after the AU would've helped.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If the headline had actually read "AU sucks", it would not have been incorrect, would it?

Some people just go looking for reasons to get offended where there is none.

5. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding. Winner.

I had thought about chipping in a similar comment but figured, in this age where grammar apparently no longer matters, I'd be derided as a word nerd. Thank you for doing what I never got around to doing.

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I won't let them off the hook for using AU as "awe" for three straight weeks (well, three straight games) but that's a different criticism

7. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Little background on the AU vs. Awe ...

I don't know how many people realize this but in the late 80s under the fattest Bowden, Auburn started a campaign where each season was personified by a single word ... that started with AU. AU-dacity was the only one I can remember. Obviously people here got what they were doing, but just a little background on why they continue to beat the same horse 20-plus years later.

Full disclosure: I once used the AU headline trick, too. But ours didn't suck. Not that theirs sucked, ours was just superior.

When Tuberville was fired our headline was "AU REVOIR" at about 150 point. The fact that didn't win more awards still grinds my gears. Who knows, maybe ours sucked, too.

Sidenote: Two other papers used that same headline when Chizik was fired, but I won't get too mad b/c I did use an OU-CH headline five minutes before deadline on a Oklahoma bowl game one time. The time I saw it the logo was used, so in the rush before deadline I justified it to myself that it was different b/c I only used typography. I still went home and immediately took a shower.

8. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

are you a nerd b/c Au is gold? If so, I see what you did there.

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Butterbean wasn't hired until 1993 :)

And I believe the first one was AU-Attitude. If not the first, it was an early one

Draft saved Draft deleted