1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montessori schools

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Any of our younger members attended one of these or have any of the parents here have an encounter with a montessori school?

I never paid much attention to them until the other day when my wife and daughter ran into a woman who used to teach at one. She told my wife, after talking with my kid, that she should really consider taking her to montessori school for 4K because she would be, at best, bored in public school and, at worst, prescribed some kind of medication when she acts out of boredom.

We met with a local, private school today and were really impressed with what we saw and while my kid isn't doing division yet, or even reading, like some of her students, the teacher said she was impressed with what she saw - which absolutely thrilled my wife.

We liked the fact that the kids will get both discipline and options to learn what they're interested in - freedom with boundaries is what she called it. The kid loved it, too.

The price is also pretty reasonable, moreso if I wasn't a reporter, but it's manageable.

We plan to eventually send our child to public school around second or third grade, but from everything I've heard, it's best to challenge them a bit now while they still have such a thirst for learning.

I haven't done much research on this, but we were completely on the same page with this woman that there really isn't much question in our minds.

Anyone been through this who can either attest to the advantages or poke hole in some of the claims?

Thanks in advance.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I went to one. My parents say it's why I was reading at a 6th grade level by the time I started 1st grade.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

You might want to see if your local public school district has a gifted/talented program, too.

5. jps

jps Active Member

I'd never heard of them either until recently. The Mrs is wanting to look into the one here ... said some of the concept is a little out there into hippie land, but in general the product as a whole is solid.

6. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Here's an informative article about it: http://www.slate.com/id/2166489/

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Wow -- I used to teach, and had no idea I could write prescriptions. Fortunately I still have an active teaching certificate; anyone need any oxycontin?

8. Where did I say teachers prescribe drugs? You know how the process works as well, if not better than I do. I just think you're being a dick.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I probably was, but it wasn't directed at you. Sorry if it came across that way. I've just heard so much nonsense from private school advocates that I could just imagine someone telling you if you send your kid to a public school she's going to end up on meds because of it.

10. Gotcha.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you are going to switch her to public school later anyway, why screw her up by making her leave friends behind and get thrown into a new environment where everyone else has a 2-3 year head start on forming relationships?

12. We'll probably move by then anyway to a better school district.

Draft saved Draft deleted