1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montana

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Dec 22, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hardly.

Coldplay. Madonna. The Boss. Justin Timberlake. All bigger than Miley Cyrus. She's not even international.

Rascal Flatts is bigger, ferchrissake.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yippee I O Kieyay

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who would you guess made the most in 2008 off 2008's body of work?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So, if I walk into Wal-Mart how long will it take me to find a Springsteen poster?

What made more money, the Rolling Stones concert film or the Hannah Montana one?

If we're talking THIS COUNTRY, she's the biggest act going right now.

I hate that as much as anyone, but if you take album sales, merchandising and touring into consideration, it's not close. That's not even counting the concert movie or the TV show.

5. TheSportsPredictor

Who cares? The amount of money someone made is a fact. Whooopee-doo if she made more cash than anyone.

Still not more significant culturally or musically than, oh, just about anyone you've ever heard of. Hell, her freaking DAD took this same path 20 years ago -- young stud hearthrob, TV show, oodles of dough. His first album sold more copies than all of hers COMBINED.

Michael Jackson > almost everybody else > Billy Ray Cyrus > Miley Cyrus. :-X

6. TheSportsPredictor

Jeez, I guess Spongebob is bigger than all of them. I bet I can find his posters all over Wal-Mart!

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I'm pluckin the floss
    And waxin' it down
    I'm gonna put it in a little box
    that i can
    sell uptown.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

TSP, you're simply not paying attention.

The girl is a juggernaut of commerce. Bigger, RIGHT NOW, than all of the acts you mentioned combined. She will go away soon enough and be a relic of this time, but there isn't even a relevant challenger right now.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

She can't cater to the Disney crowd forever.

Until she matures, distances herself from the Mouse, and displays her musical chops (or lack thereof), she's going to earn a boat load of money and no legitimacy.

Timberlake did it. Definitely a chance Miley can.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Cash is how we keep score.

11. TheSportsPredictor

First of all, THE GIRL isn't. Hannah Montana is. If you separate THE GIRL from Hannah Montana, Hannah Montana wins.

Second of all, The Jonas Brothers are a challenger. And if you do not consider Coldplay, an internationally renowned band which sells out concerts all over the world and has just put out a top-selling, critically acclaimed, Grammy-nominated album, a challenger than YOU'RE the one not paying attention.

Hannah Montana is fucking Shaun Cassidy (adjective, not verb).

12. TheSportsPredictor

Of?

Draft saved Draft deleted