1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montana prude professor frets about college sex column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Mar 11, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

This lady must not have a lot of experience with college newspapers. Lord knows if someone tried to do this to the paper I was editor at, the next week we'd run six columns on sex, three comic strips insinuating sexual acts and three columns calling her an idiot.

2. I would like to subscribe to your publication.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yes, our society says that it is OK to have sex, but stigmatizes and (in some cases) outlaws those who beat their spouses or who discriminate and intimidate based on race. Good lord this was a dumb post. Just had to say that.

As to why college newspapers publish sex columns, it's pretty much for the same reason a dog licks his own balls ... because he can. I advise a college newspaper and my kids publish a sex column despite my objections that it's pointless and, worse, cliche. But, as I tell them often, if they listen to everything I say, they'd be a very boring newspaper that nobody in their demographic would care to read.

They run the sex column because they enjoy doing it (sex and the column, I am guessing) and their readers read it. Some hate it. Some love it. To me, that interaction and the reaction they get from their readers is as much a part of the training process as the actual production of the piece. Besides, they cover the shit out of all the important stuff -- student fees, faculty layoffs, campus crime -- so I have very little problem with them having some fun with things like this.

Yes, there are better places for their peers to get the info, but they are here to learn how they can be the ones to work at "the better place to get that info," so the process has value, even if it's imperfect.

4. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I consider myself fairly conservative in general, but I really don't see the problem with this column, in fact, I read the sample provided and felt it was one of the tamest sex-related columns I've seen in some time.

5. DOLORES!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted