1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montana prude professor frets about college sex column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Mar 11, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You sound surprised.

2. InTheSkeller

InTheSkeller Member

So, it would be OK then to run a regular column -- not an op/ed piece, but weekly feature, say in the "lifestyle" section -- listing creative ways to beat up your girlfriend or repress minorities or hurl insults at Jews? Of course not. We, as newspapers/media, have a place in everyday society, and society should have some standards. Tolerance should work both ways, right?

3. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

OK as in legal? Within the publication's and author's free speech rights?

Or OK as in socially acceptable?

My media law's rusty, but I believe the right for the paper to publish said columns is still protected unless it can be proven that they are a grave danger to the public. The readership would likely abandon any paper who runs such racist or mysoginistic material.

We serve the readers. They chose whether or not to read.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mr. Doyle.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yes, it would be okay to run those stories in my book. I'm not saying they should run. Only the editors and owners of a publication should decide what should run. But if some paper ran a how-to on how to beat your girlfriend/spouse up, then advertisers pull out, people stop buying the paper, and the publication goes under.

7. lono

lono Active Member

Do you really not understand the fundamental differences between a student newspaper advice column that attempts to tackle questions of sexuality on a college campus — arguably the most sexually active audience any newspaper has — and actively advocating domestic violence and/or antisemitism in a general-circulation newspaper?

Are you that dense?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So we're okay with actively attempting to ban offensive content through legal channels, as long as it's *really* offensive and not just sort of offensive to old people?

9. lono

lono Active Member

Show me where I said I was in favor of banning anything.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep.

We have to endure these waves of gross stupidity, periodically.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

on a side note: don't google chocolate vulva on a stick.
    just don't.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

When you accuse a guy arguing against banning of being "dense," it's implied.

Draft saved Draft deleted