1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montana coach freezes out student paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Moving from Montana to Wyoming didn't do much for Joe Glenn's career.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And Chris Jones shows up!

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think you forgot the blue font, Six Toe! :) College newspapers have run afoul of athletic directors, coaches, etc. for quite a while.

Seriously, kudos to the kids at the Kaimin for standing up to this coach. The guy thinks he can intimidate everyone from reporting the facts on some bad apples he has on his team, so he singles out the student newspaper.

I give the student journos credit for sticking with it. Keep doing your job covering the team, and if they don't cooperate, well, there's probably more skeletons to be found regarding the Grizzly football program.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Our man Jones, teaching college kids how to be reporters and not take shit from douchebag coaches.
    Nice!

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Go Jones!

Bobby Hauck is a twit. Gawd, how I hate him. Nobody liked dealing with his ass when I was in Montana.

6. KVV

KVV Member

Not to quibble, Jeremy, but I'm not sure anything I said was incorrect. The Salish, the Kootenai, and the Pend d'Oreille are all apart of what is commonly referred to now as the Flathead Nation, and they "live" on the Flathead Indian Reservation. Saying "Flathead Nation" is like saying "Crow Nation." It refers to unified people, not a geographical area.

I'm a Missoula boy, btw.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I agree with the above suggestions. Have a great time with FOI requests. Salary information for everyone associated with the football program, cell phone records, camp income....get creative, try everything, never stop.

The relationship with the coach can't get worse. So milk it for all it's worth.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Also, kudos to the reporter who followed up the coach's no comment by asking the exact same question and getting an answer. I hope they do that for every single question that the students ask from here on forward.

9. CornFlakes

CornFlakes Member

Put on the real pressure and ask him who is slimier -- he or his mentor Neuheisel.

Then when he gets done scowling and says "Next question," follow up with "Is your arrogance the reason why you keep getting passed over for every major-college job you put out feelers for?"

When he gets done throwing F-bombs, then ask if he would like to discuss the rumors floating around about his personal life.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This coach picked the wrong battle. He will get his nuts crushed if he continues it.

11. I'd like to see the "scathing article" the student paper wrote about the alleged assualts and the football team.
    Not justifying the coach or his actions, but in my experience with student papers and "reporters" their stories are more often than not long on opinion and short on facts.
    They are seldom positive opinions.

12. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

This is absolutely shameful at a public university. Shameful. What a Mickey Mouse operation.

Draft saved Draft deleted