1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montana coach freezes out student paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Lame. FOI that coach's ass on everything you can. As a state employee you're entitled to see a lot. Ratchet up the pressure. This aggression will not stand, man.

2. Exactly. Spend the time you would have spent on his sport on all the skeletons in the closet.

3. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Crazy story. Like Jones said, that shit wouldn't go down somewhere bigger. Hopefully it blows up enough where it doesn't go down there anymore, either.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

UW Whitewater's coach tried this earlier and was promptly slapped down by the university.

I'd bet the same thing happens here.

I'm guessing it's not like the University of Montana has to fight sportswriters off with a stick.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And the Montana fans act just as bad. They're more pissed off at the students for writing a story on the opposing team than they are at their own coach and players for not talking to them.

Writing about assaults is a legitimate story. You would think the coach would be media-savvy enough to know that and just keep mum about it. Instead, he's chosen to throw several temper-tantrums.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but I think this is not the first time this coach has had a run-in with the student newspaper.

7. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

A semi-related question:
    What is the definition/origin of the word "Kaimin"

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

The school's AD and executive VP sound like a couple of bigtime wusses for not straightening out this idiot coach. School president should call all three of these jerks onto the carpet, read them the riot act, and tell them they have 24 hours for the coach AND the players to get with the program. Literally. This silent treatment stuff is asinine.

9. KVV

KVV Member

It's a Salish Indian word for messages/paper. The Salish Indians (now called the Flathead Nation) are/were the most prominent Indian tribe in Western Montana.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Memo to Bobby Hauck: If you keep acting like a fucking tool, Montana will be the high point of your coaching career.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

KVV, I believe you are correct about the definition, but you are off on the Flathead part.

The Salish and two other tribes live on the Flathead Reservation, which is close to Missoula.

From Tribes' Web site:

Draft saved Draft deleted