1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montana athletics explodes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GidalKaiser, Mar 29, 2012.

1. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/article_c2029514-79c6-11e1-91c8-0019bb2963f4.html

Pflugrad was 18-7 in two seasons and was named the 2011 Big Sky Conference Coach of the Year (11-3, co-champions). Also one of 20 finalists for the Eddie Robinson Award, given to the Football Championship Series' top mentor. He coached wide receivers in 2009 and spent almost a decade as a Griz assistant earlier in his career before taking jobs with Arizona State, Washington State and Oregon.
    Montana has played in all but one of the last 19 national playoffs and appeared in seven of the last 17 national title games, winning championships in 1995 and 2001.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I assume the Missoulian will have more in-depth coverage.

3. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

At this point, they do have some. http://missoulian.com/news/local/university-of-montana-fires-football-coach-athletic-director/article_b7877268-79c0-11e1-92b3-0019bb2963f4.html

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Posted this earlier on the running Nick Saban/college football thread before the reason for the firing was reported. Yeah, this deserves its own thread.

It sounds like the issue with the football players is part of a bigger campus problem based on whats out there on-line.

Makes you wonder what the AD & coach did or said to get canned if this is bigger than the athletic department & football program.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Quite a Division I-A program Montana's got going there.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Well, they did turn down an offer to move up to I-A and join the WAC. Maybe they knew that once all the rapes hit the news, they'd get some BCS looks.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So Montana didn't literally explode then?

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This is great news. Someone refresh my memory... wasn't there a thread on here recently about the coach bullying the student paper?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

S-E-C!!!!

10. Armchair_QB

I think that was the previous head coach who is now at UNLV.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yet, somehow men's basketball coach Wayne Tinkle isn't involved. Or so we know.

12. Armchair_QB

So... Dan Hawkins to the rescue?

Draft saved Draft deleted