1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montana as big as Jackson?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

For all the wise guys who mocked me about referencing Hannah Montana's potential to be bigger than Michael Jackson:

I just finished reading an AOL Money and Finance story on Cyrus, which claims she's on track to become a billionaire by the time she's 18.

http://money.aol.com/portfolio-com/general/canvas3/_a/the-billion-dollar-girl/20080212114609990001

Here's a few items from the by the numbers feature that goes with the story:

$36 million - Total revenue in 2007 for 'Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour,' which began in October.

4 minutes - Time lapsed before tickets to the Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds concert tour sold out.

$42,500 - Per-screen average of Best of Both Worlds (concert), the highest of any wide release in history.

2 - The number of Hannah Montana albums to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard 200. Cyrus is the youngest artist to have two No. 1 albums on Billboard charts within a year.

140 - Number of Hannah Montana-inspired products that will be featured in new 'Hannah Montana' shops at 750 Wal-Mart stores across the U.S.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Is this SI's sign that the Apocalypse is upon us for the week?

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

"Did she say she was bigger than Jesus?"

"All the time. It was the title of her second album."

[​IMG]

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hope she's a billionaire by 18, cause she'll be just about finished by then.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think she's benefited incredibly by having family in the business... Usually, in a case like this, Disney would have almost all of the rights and she would be getting pennies on the dollar for what she earns...

That's not the case here. I'm guessing her father has people who made sure that didn't happen and to say that it's lucrative would be the understatement of the century.

Let me ask a dumb question... I've never heard a Hannah Montana song, never seen a second of the show, and wouldn't know who she was if it wasn't for Rolling Stone, E!, EW and US Weekly...

Is she a good singer, or is this just the Disney marketing machine in full effect...

6. Mizzougrad96

The big money comes from likeness rights and those products that you can't walk into any Target or Wal-Mart without seeing... That's what made the Olsen twins all of their money...

The tours also certainly don't hurt since the bulk of that money goes straight to the artist, rather than to the record company, or Disney... If I'm not mistaken, the tour has Miley Cyrus' name on it, not Hannah Montana. I'm guessing that means, Disney owns the rights to the name Hannah Montana.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

She'll be in rehab before she's 20.

Book it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Hell, there were pregnancy rumors about her before the Jamie Lynn Spears stuff came out...

You just know that at some point (if it hasn't happened already) Disney and her managers will realize that they need to squeeze as much $$$ as they can out of her before some other flavor of the week comes along...

By the time it's all over, hopefully she won't have turned into Britney Spears...

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

your last question: 'Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour.'

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and bigger than jesus? no. soon to be bigger than michael jackson? yes ... and HA-HA.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When Weird Al starts making Hannah Montana parodies, we can talk.

Till then, she's in the back seat and Michael's in the driver's seat.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The TV show is marginally funny for adults; both my teen-aged kids enjoy it. I remember MJ in the early 80s and how everyone was singing his/her songs and learning his/her dance moves. I don't recall anyone wanting a wig to wear so they looked like him/her. You could make the case that he single-handedly made MTV relevant with the Thriller video; I don't think you could say HM has propelled a network to prominence.

Draft saved Draft deleted