1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monster NBA deal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Jun 25, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Nash, Amare and KG would be an unbelievable trio.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The 04 Pistons basically won the title by default when their massively-more-talented opponent imploded and self-destructed, guess what, due to the influence of a screw-loose head case.

Wallace, Jackson and Rodman were contributors to championship teams only when, as clearly noted in the original post, there were other, more dominant personalities on their teams who were able to bring their foot down on the screw-loose head case.

No team can win a championship with a SLHC as its dominant personality. Ultimately, they always end up doing more to destroy your team than they help you on the field/court. The two major objectives of a professional sports GM should be, 1) to accumulate as much talent as possible, and 2) to get the screw-loose head cases off your roster.

3. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Who is the SLHC on the 04 Lakers? I assume you must be referring to Kobe, the same guy who previously won 3 world titles. So if you consider Kobe to be an SLHC, wouldn't that further debunk your theory that an SLHC can't be a dominant personality on a championship team? And who, exactly, was the Pistons "more dominant personality" who was able to control Sheed in 04? So many holes can be poked in your theory.

I'm not saying loose screws are OK to have, obviously you're better off without em. I'm just amused with the way writers keep coming up with these bullshit formulas phrased in absolute terms--you must have this, you can't have that. Truth is, they've all been debunked. NBA Title teams have come in all varieties of combinations, some were backcourt dominant frontcourt weak, others frontcourt dominant backcourt weak, some full of wonderful citizens others full of assholes, some with great team harmony others where players hated each other (Shaq/Kobe Lakers, 75 Warriors), some loaded with superstars others with none (04 Pistons, 79 Sonics).

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Nash and KG in the desert would be so fun to watch. If they have to trade Stoudamire, at least they keep Nash, Marion, Bell, and Barbosa to play with KG.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Kobe graduated to full SLHC status coincidental with the sexual assault charges, when the Lakers completely kowtowed to him all season long, disrupting their schedule day after day. flying him in and out to court appearances, and then acceeding to his demands vis-a-vis "it's me or Shaq." Since then he has continued to be nothing but an egotistical primadonna demanding the entire franchise be run according to his demands.

The more dominant personalities on the 04 Pistons who kept Sheed (barely) under control were Ben Wallace and Billups. With the departure of Ben Wallace, an essential counterbalance to Sheed's nonstop hyena-screeching and "why's-everybody-always-pickin-on-me" yowling to the refs was lost, and the pendulum started to swing the other way, with Billups, Hamilton and Prince now joining Sheed in the excuse-making, alibi-spinning, "Not My Fault" chorus.

When it's always the refs' fault, there's certainly no need for ME to play any harder or any better. Let LeBron score 30 straight points in a playoff game? Not My Fault. Get called for a technical with 5 minutes left in a tie game? Not My Fault. Get kicked out with 6 minutes to play in Game 6? Not My Fault.

You've got to get fuckers like this OFF your roster, if you want to win.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Do you know which organization would be perfect for Garnett?

Cleveland.

LeBron needs more help than the CBA All-Star team that surrounds him. Garnett may be rejuvenated playing alongside James.

7. Mmac

Mmac Guest

And I'm sure Minny would love to take a couple of those CBA All-Stars in exchange for Garnett.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Minny would get draft picks and expiring contracts. The T-Wolves won't be good for three or four years. But they would have an opportunity to rebuild.

Draft saved Draft deleted