1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monster In Chief

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jun 20, 2006.

1. And because you found a quote from LBJ, what, Boom?
    We should stay mired in a current quagmire because a Democratic president got us stuck in one earlier? As I recall, it was Democratic politicians who forced that president out over that very issue. Would that we had a couple Republicans with that kind of guts today.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Screw that. The mobsters are too busy raking in the cash.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

"You're not gonna let me lose face, are you?"

The only possible reply: No sir, Mr. President, you're doing a fine job of that all on your own.

For God's sakes, this is our president, people. This bumbling, crooked, wretched man ... is our president.

Fenian's right, Jesus wept.

4. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/19/AR2006061901211_pf.html

The WaPo review of Suskind's book.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Fenian, Boom wasn't suggesting that we stay there because a Democrat said this about Vietnam. He was looking at a parallel in history and pointing to what LBJ said (forget, for a moment that he was a Democrat) and comparing it to our reasons for staying in Iraq. Good easy there. It's not always about Republicans-vs.-Democrats.

6. alley --
    Then what's the relevance of the quote in our current context?
    To me, it's a forget-the-past-condemned-to-repeat-it thing, even thought I'm fairly sure Boom didnl't mean it that way, only because I can't figure how it makes sense any other way.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Actually, 21, I thought Geena Davis' next TV role was going to be as a monster.

(But then I saw who started the thread...)

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I can't believe you're missing the point. LBJ was trying to make his argument for being in and staying in Vietnam. It's an argument we now know to be foolish. Compare it to the arguments made by W for going to and staying in Iraq, and while the ideology might be different, the concept is the same. It was a war sold under false pretenses and the reasons for staying keep changing.

9. I agree, and that's what I said. I just don't know if Boom meant it that way. If he did, and he's against the war, god love him for that.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Boom was agreeing with my interpretation of what he was saying.

11. Fair enough, I think, although Boom does tend to like to beat Democrats over the head with Vietnam, praising Nixon for ending the war (after sabotaging the peace talks as a candidate of course, and adding 30K+ casualities to get terms he could have had in 1969.)

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Well, Vietnam ended a long time ago. We need to use it in terms of "lessons learned" but at this point the fault for that particular war is rather immaterial to me and not even worth discussing.

Draft saved Draft deleted